Are you a college student or retiree with lots of time on your hands?
We are looking for volunteers to serve as Accountable Health Communities (AHC) screeners for a CMS grant program which begins in May 2018. Training will take place in March.
These individuals will assist appropriate clients to complete a screening tool determining eligibility for referral to community services or referral plus navigation to community services. The Screener supports providers and the AHC navigators through an integrated approach to care management and community outreach. The goal is to promote, maintain, and improve the health of patients/clients and their families through social support, informal counseling and advocacy for individual and community health needs. This volunteer role will be based at Danbury Hospital.
- Must be a High School graduate or posses a GED
- Must be proficient with computer systems, tablets and completing electronic forms
- Experience working in a multi-cultural setting
- Experience working in a community-based health/social service setting for at least 1-3 years preferred
- Must have exceptional time management skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills - relationship building/trust & honesty/compassion & empathy/respect & tolerance.
- Must have the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA in all formats, including verbal, written and electronic.
- Must have a solid knowledge of the community and its available resources
- Must possess the ability to be innovative and think creatively with regard to care of patients/clients and their families
- Must have demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Must pass a background check
- Bilingual/bicultural candidates are encouraged to apply
- Develop a clear understanding of the experience, language, culture, and socioeconomic needs of the community.
- Develop a clear understanding of the social determinants of health-housing, food, utilities, transportation and interpersonal violence-and their importance in maintaining health and wellness.
- Have the ability to form trusting relationships with patients/clients and their families while providing general support and encouragement.
- Screen individuals for gaps in social determinants of health and provide them with appropriate referrals and connection to navigation services if indicated.
- Provide follow-up and encouragement using basic motivational interviewing and goal setting with clients/families.
- Provide and reinforce key educational messages in person.
- Link clients to supportive community services and programs, and assist in adopting healthy behaviors.
- Act as a client advocate and liaison between the client/family and community service agencies (i.e., schools, DSS, Hospitals, support groups, etc...)
- Promote CLAS (Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services) in an effort to advance health equity, improve quality and help eliminate health care disparities.
- Assist clients with completing applications and registration forms.
- Identify and address barriers to care and work with client teams to take advantage of all available community resources.
- Work closely with medical providers, care coordinators, case management and AHC Navigators to help ensure patients/clients are screened and provided with resources.
- Work cooperatively with other clinical personnel assigned to the same client.
- Attend regular staff meetings, trainings and other meetings as requested.
- Successfully manage assigned caseload of patients/clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteers must have a flu vaccine and PPD prior to taking on the role.
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Office Assistant/Volunteer...
- Bedside Buddies Program at...
- Are you a Book Worm? We are...
- Roaming Hospital Food Cart...
- Enjoy Baking Cookies? Join Our...
- Accountable Health Communities...
- Hospitality Cart Volunteers Needed
- Greet Patients as an Ambassador...
- Patient Relations Liaison Needed...
- Have a Certified Pet Therapy...
- Join our Patient and Family...