Organization Description: Sierra Streams Institute is a watershed science organization based in Nevada City, California, dedicated to increasing watershed stewardship capacity throughout the Sierra Nevada region and beyond. Founded in 1996 as Friends of Deer Creek, SSI has grown to become an important voice in the regional scientific community. We work with local, state, and federal agencies as well as universities and community groups to find solutions to the problems that afflict Deer Creek and other watersheds (i.e. Bear River, Yuba River) throughout the region that share the challenges resulting from a century and a half of gold mining, development, and agriculture. SSI's emphasis on rigorous science, data collection and community engagement provides the basis for restoration decisions that are made on behalf of Sierra watersheds, and makes us a valuable partner of local and state government agencies.
- Macroinvertebrate Lab: Benthic macroinvertebrate (creek insect) samples are processed in our laboratory. Interns utilize microscopy and taxonomic skills to identify insects to family level and become more proficient with dichotomous keys. Data entry and data proofing will also be involved.
- Water Quality Monitoring: Monitors test for pH, dissolved oxygen, turbidity, conductivity and temperature along Bear River and Deer Creek.
- Water Chemistry Processing: Water samples from Deer Creek and Bear River are processed in our laboratory for nutrient and bacteria content. Laboratory upkeep tasks including data entry, data proofing, and protocol updates may be involved.
- Literature Review: Interns will help gather the background information necessary for various projects using scientific journal databases and the internet.
- Data Entry
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 3-10 hrs/week, depending on intern availability