1 person is interested
Refugee Resettlement Volunteers: Employment
1 person is interested
PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ORANGE THE "I WANT TO HELP" BUTTON! Instead, the first step for prospective volunteers is to complete DARA's Volunteer Application, which you can find at https://www.daract.org/get-involved. PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ORANGE THE "I WANT TO HELP" BUTTON.
Employment Team volunteers aid refugee families in every aspect of obtaining and keeping employment. Tasks include:
- Visiting Jobs First Employment Services with employable family members to review the requirements of attending regular appointments and obtaining related documentation
- Liaising with employers and family members during the orientation period of a new job
- Maintaining a contact list of employment agencies and sympathetic employers*
- Speaking to employers about hiring refugees (ongoing)
- Preparing employable family members for job readiness in coordination with other teams by:
- helping to create résumés, register on/use job search sites, and complete job applications
- practicing interview skills
- collaborating with the Education team for tutoring in job-related vocabulary*
- scheduling job interviews and accompanying family members as needed
- helping to complete paperwork once hired
The first step for prospective volunteers is to complete DARA's Volunteer Application, which you can find at https://www.daract.org/get-involved. We look forward to receiving your application, and thank you!
DARA's COVID-19 Policy
The health and safety of DARA's volunteers, clients, and community is our highest priority. DARA follows the guidance of science experts and requires all volunteers and clients to comply with pandemic protocols by social distancing, wearing masks, proper handwashing, and sanitizing high-contact surfaces. We require any volunteer who feels ill for any reason to immediately notify their team leader and avoid in-person volunteer duties until cleared to return. Returning to regular resettlement activities in the future depends on the cooperation of everyone involved in DARA. Thank you for doing your part to help us overcome this pandemic.
DARA is committed to providing an environment that is safe, friendly, nondiscriminatory, and inclusive. DARA welcomes and values everyone regardless of race, color, culture, religion, ability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or economic resources.
About Danbury Area Refugee Assistance Inc. (DARA)
PO BOX 1090, REDDING CTR, CT 06875, US
Danbury Area Refugee Assistance (DARA) is a nonprofit organization that resettles refugee families, providing advocacy and support as they work toward self-sufficiency to become productive members of our community.
DARA works in the Greater Danbury, Connecticut area to resettle refugee families in our community. In partnership with IRIS (Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services), DARA cosponsors and assists refugee families while they acclimate to a new life in America.
This commitment is DARA's way of investing in the health, safety and well-being of people who have endured violence, intolerance, and upheaval the likes of which most of us will never experience.
variousDanbury, CT 06810
September 18, 2021
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Employment Law
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers should be reliable, organized, flexible, patient, culturally sensitive, compassionate, and able to maintain personal boundaries.