35 people are interested
Refugee Resettlement Volunteers: Education
Please visit the new page to apply.
35 people are interested
Volunteers aid refugee families in registration for school and childcare/preschool programs, and act as liaisons between the schools and families. Tasks include:
- Liaising with school registration offices and the Childcare Team to register children in school and in childcare centers/preschool programs
- Gathering registration documents and information for team members to complete paperwork
- Assisting families in completing school registration paperwork in coordination with a translator, making registration appointments, and accompanying family members to the appointments
- Researching extracurricular/sports/summer programs, communicating with program organizers or coaches, and educating families in all of these areas
- Helping families communicate with school personnel and vice versa
- Educating parents on school procedures (everyday and special events)
- Seeking advice of outside experts on available school services for children and attending any school meetings (PPT or other) to ensure that parents understand what help is available
- Tutoring children and adult family members
- Keeping track of available tutors, their schedules, and areas of expertise*
- Collaborating with tutors on working with families, and scheduling tutoring sessions*
- Identifying curriculum topics and materials to be included in tutoring sessions*
- Providing academic support as needed
- Socializing parents to assist with academics, and providing in-home support to children
- Researching and registering adult family members for ESL programs outside of DARA
- Communicating with Literacy Volunteers to arrange for level testing of families and training opportunities for volunteers*
- Continually researching local literacy organizations to keep abreast of new programs being offered*
- Coordinating donations/loans of educational materials*
The first step for prospective volunteers is to complete DARA's Volunteer Application, which you can find at https://www.daract.org/get-involved. We look forward to receiving your application, and thank you!
About Danbury Area Refugee Assistance Inc. (DARA)
PO BOX 1090, REDDING CTR, CT 06875, US
Danbury Area Refugee Assistance (DARA) is a nonprofit organization that resettles refugee families, providing advocacy and support as they work toward self-sufficiency to become productive members of our community.
DARA works in the Greater Danbury, Connecticut area to resettle refugee families in our community. In partnership with IRIS (Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Services), DARA cosponsors and assists refugee families while they acclimate to a new life in America.
This commitment is DARA's way of investing in the health, safety and well-being of people who have endured violence, intolerance, and upheaval the likes of which most of us will never experience.
variousDanbury, CT 06811
December 6, 2021
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- General Education
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers should be reliable, organized, flexible patient, culturally sensitive, compassionate, honest, and able to maintain personal boundaries.