We seek interns and volunteers who are physically, mentally, and emotionally fit and do not back down from a challenge. Working in the Amazon is not for the faint of heart. The weather is hot and humid, there are often many bugs and mosquitoes. River travel is not the most comfortable form of transportation, though it is the most common. You are expected to work hard, with a high level of autonomy and initiative. When staying in indigenous communities, there is no running water or flushing toilets. While you may not permanently live in a community, you might be there for lengths of time depending on your role. Flexibility and patience are also extremely important. Things happen at their own pace here in the Amazon, and patience is definitely a virtue.
That being said, the rewards of persevering and facing these challenges yield innumerable opportunities for growth and learning.
Location: Pucallpa, Peru.
This is a unique opportunity to impact the strategy behind our work here in the Peruvian Amazon. You will work closely with the staff here to maintain the best digital identity for Alianza Arkana and its programs in order to bring awareness of our campaigns and generate support for the work we do in partnership with Shipibo people. The designer will develop program and communications material, digital designs, and web designs.Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain Alianza Arkana’s visual identity.
- Design program & communications materials such as logos, banners, posters, brochures, stationery, annual reports, and educational material.
- Contribute new ideas regarding visual and digital strategy.
- Provide Alianza team with educational workshops and seminars on basic web and graphic design best practices.
- Collaborate with Project Leaders on creating educational materials and curriculum for web and graphic design workshops in Shipibo communities.
- Lead web and graphic design workshops in Shipibo communities, with the goal of developing basic computer skills and technical capacity.
- Travel to/ stay in Shipibo communities to conduct workshops and seminars.
- Commit to a minimum of THREE MONTHS.
Other responsibilities may include and are not limited to
- Update content for Alianza Arkana website.
- Collaborate with program staff, from creative brainstorming to revision and production.
- Illustrations (where able).
- Keep up-to-date with program/development/communications activities.
- Coordinate with web developers and printers to ensure highest quality of final product.
- Support the teams by giving advice/comments on outsourcing projects to improve digital material quality.
Qualifications and Skills
- Qualification to Bachelor or preferably Masters level, and/or good level of experience.
- Interest, and preferably experience in design for NGO’s.
- Extensive knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Proficiency to work on Mac OS and PC.
- Knowledge/experience of video editing is a plus.
- Knowledge/experience of web design and HTML is a plus.
- Knowledge/experience of printing and coding is a plus.
- Illustration/ animation skills a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Intermediate Spanish or above
- Ability to adapt designs/artworks to different cultures.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Flexible, dynamic, professional, collaborative and innovative.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment