11 people are interested
The Finance Committee member must be a person of proven integrity and experience in handling financial affairs. The Finance Committee Chair does not have to be a professional "numbers" person but good judgment, logic, curiosity, and a commitment to accountability and the long-term financial stability of the organization are vital traits. A good Finance Committee member will have, or quickly develop, an understanding of nonprofit financial reporting.
Purpose of the Finance Committee:
The Finance Committee Chair reports to the EXCOM about the financial condition of the organization, and/or any financial irregularities or inefficiencies.
- Budgeting and Financial Planning
- Develop an annual operating budget with Post Officers and/or the EXCOM.
- Approve the budget.
- Monitor adherence to the budget.
- Set long-range financial goals along with funding strategies to achieve them.
- Develop multi-year operating budgets that integrate strategic plan objectives and initiatives.
- Present all financial goals and proposals to the EXCOM for approval.
- Develop useful and readable report formats with Post Officers and/or the EXCOM.
- Work with Post Officers to develop a list of desired reports noting the level of detail, frequency, deadlines, and recipients of these reports.
- Work with Post Officers to understand the implications of the reports.
- Present the financial reports to the EXCOM.
- Internal Controls and Accountability Policies
- Create, approve, and update (as necessary) policies that help ensure the assets of the organization are protected.
- Ensure policies and procedures for financial transactions are documented in a manual, and the manual is reviewed annually, and updated as necessary.
- Ensure approved financial policies and procedures are being followed.
- Must be able to commit to at least six months of service on the assigned committee.
- Interest in nonprofit work and supporting the needs of our community of veterans and their families.
- Excellent management and organizational skills. Strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills.
- Honorably discharged military veteran
- Fundraising/Nonprofit & communications experience.
- Experience in public relations, financial management and/or organizational development a plus.
- Ability to develop and manage budgets and prepare financial reports.
We'll work with your schedule.
330 Center Street NorthVienna, VA 22180
- Financial Auditing
- Business Analysis
- Cost Analysis
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 board meeting per month (3rd Wed @ 7pm)
- Veterans or veteran family members preferred