WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereDuarte Unified School DistrictDuarte, CA 91010
Position Overview and Impact:
According to the U.S. Department of Education, "82 percent of students from low-income families failed to reach the "proficient" level in reading on the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) in 2011." The goal of IHeartBooks is to enable all students the support needed to excel in their literacy skills. With volunteers providing individual and small group attention, we’ll be able help students reach their proficient level in reading. Help make a difference in the community by volunteering with the Duarte Unified School District as a literacy tutor!
- Meet weekly with your student at the school
- Offer individual and small group attention
- Help students improve their reading comprehension skills
- Give positive feedback and support
- Patience and a desire to help others
- Willingness to work with students from various backgrounds
- Strong reading and writing skills
- Communicate effectively with the youth
Training and Support Needed:
All volunteers must complete an orientation on IHeartBooks Reading Program as well as training on how to utilize Scholastic Guided Reading Program, prior to tutoring. Different techniques will be shown on how to effectively help students improve their literacy skills.
Benefits of Being a Literacy Tutor:
- Build your resume
- Gain work experience
- Boost students confidence in reading
- Make a difference in your community
Tutoring days and times will take place during school hours. The hours will be mutually agreed upon the volunteer and teacher. A minimum of two hours a week is encouraged.Tutoring hours are flexible!
All Literacy Tutors must obtain a background check and TB clearance through the Duarte Unified School DistrictFor additional information, email Bernadette at AmeriCorpsDUSD@gmail.com
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading Comprehension
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Must obtain background check and TB clearance.