English as a Second Language Class Volunteer
22 people are interested
Support parents, older adults, and members of our community as they work to learn English.
WHAT IS YOUR COMMITMENT?
- Help instructor keep students on task during partner & group assignments
- Provide assistance if students are having difficulties or have a question
- Serve as a conversation partner and mentor for students that are looking for advice
- Commit to a weekly shift (minimum 1 hour). Classes meet M-Th (Level 1 M/W 9:30-12:30; Level 2 Tu/th 9:30-12:30; Level 3/4 Tu/Th 9:30-1:30) Tuesdays and Thursdays (2:00-5:00 PM)
APPLY TO BE A VOLUNTEER IF YOU...
- Are patient working with adult students learning and practicing their English
- Are willing to commit to weekly volunteering and available during weekdays
- Want to help community members overcome obstacles to furthering their education and having new opportunities open to them
About Manny Cantor Center
197 E BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NY 10002, US
We are a new hub for the Lower East Side, a cultural and community center that is committed to bringing together our vibrant and diverse neighborhood. Our newly-renovated space offers award-winning programs, critical services and exciting events for toddlers, teens, young adults, and older adults of all backgrounds.
Our commitment to the diversity of the Lower East Side is reflected in our programming: Head Start classrooms sit alongside our private preschool; the Weinberg Center for Balanced Living creates community for older adults of all backgrounds and abilities; our fitness center is utilized by neighborhood residents of all ethnicities, income levels, and ages through an innovative tiered membership model. The Educational Alliance Art School uses the study and mastery of fine arts to forge connections between students and master teachers. Afterschool programs serve community needs for recreation, fitness, education, and college preparation. Community and cultural programming invites deep conversation and calls to action.
The Manny Cantor Center is the flagship building of Educational Alliance, a community-based organization offering a wide range of programs that integrate education, social services, arts and recreation throughout the Lower East Side and East Village. Created to assist Eastern European Jews immigrating to NYC, it has been serving the area since 1889. Educational Alliance has grown and changed as the Lower East Side has; now serving the diverse population that currently resides here.
We'll work with your schedule.
197 East BroadwayManny Cantor CenterNew York, NY 10002
- Teaching / Instruction
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- 1 hour per week