How does Girls on the Run work?
- Participants meet twice a week in small teams of 8-15 girls.
- Trained volunteer coaches help them learn important life skills through engaging lessons and fun running activities.
- The nationally proven curriculum focuses on three main themes:
- understanding ourselves,
- valuing relationships and teamwork, and
- understanding how we connect with the world at large.
- At the end of the 12-week program the girls complete a celebratory 5k run that gives them a tremendous sense of accomplishment.
Volunteer Coach Commitment and Responsibilities:
- Commitment to be at practice for 12 weeks, 2 days a week for 90 minutes each day. Teams meet after school normally from 3-4:30pm. The Fall 2018 season will start September 5 and will end on November 27.
- Attend the season-ending Magic City 5k with the girls on Sunday, November 18.
- Attend a five-hour training session prior to the start of the season. Training will be held in late August.
- Become CPR and First Aid Certified. Girls on the Run will provide training for at least one coach per team if necessary.
Girls on the Run Birmingham provides coaches with:
- A nationally proven curriculum, lesson plans and all supplies for each team meeting
- A small allowance for each team
- Support throughout the season
- Child Development
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Aprox. 2-4 hours a week