Offer direction, support, and academic guidance to an elementary or middle school-age student to build his/her self-confidence and improve his/her school experience. Subject areas include math, science, reading, writing and general homework skills.
Key responsibilities include:
- Attend a new volunteer orientation and interview with the program
- Attend tutoring sessions as scheduled and on time; notify staff in advance of any absence
- Provide encouragement and support while assisting the student through the learning process
- Provide instruction in good study habits
- Observe confidentiality at all times
- Keep staff informed about your tutoring experience, job assignments, or any concerns you may have
- Sensitive and adaptable to student needs
- Acceptance of cultural, economic, and familial differences
- Enthusiasm for working with students
- No previous teaching or tutoring experience necessary
- Must have transportation to and from the tutoring site
- Bilingual in Spanish and English a plus though not required (for the Linkages program only)
We currently have two FSI programs that are seeking volunteer tutors:
Linkages to Learning at Gaithersburg Middle School: We ask volunteers to commit to 1-2 one-hour tutoring sessions each week, Mondays and/or Wednesdays from 3:30-5:30pm. And, we ask volunteers to commit to tutoring for the remainder of the school year. Volunteers are asked to be 21 and older.
Regional Youth Services program at 620 East Diamond Avenue, Suite H in Gaithersburg: We ask volunteers to commit to 1-2 one-hour tutoring sessions each week, Mondays through Thursday from 4:00-7:00pm. And, we ask volunteers to commit to tutoring for the remainder of the school year. Students age 16 and older are welcome to tutor with RYS.
All FSI regular volunteers who are 18 years and older working with children will need to complete an online background check and submit a notarized Child Protective Services form.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours/week
- completion of FSI volunteer application