Offer direction, support, and academic guidance to an elementary, middle or high school student to build his/her self-confidence and improve his/her school experience. Subject areas include math, reading, writing and general study skills.
Key responsibilities include:
- Attend a new volunteer orientation and interview with the program
- Attend tutoring sessions as scheduled and on time; notify staff in advance of any absence
- Provide encouragement and support while assisting the student through the learning process
- Provide instruction in good study habits
- Observe confidentiality at all times
- Keep staff informed about your tutoring experience or any concerns you may have
- Sensitive and adaptable to student needs
- Acceptance of cultural, economic, and familial differences
- Enthusiasm for working with students
- No previous teaching or tutoring experience necessary
- Must have transportation to and from the tutoring site
Regional Youth Services program at 620 East Diamond Avenue, Suite H in Gaithersburg: We ask volunteers to commit to 1-2 one-hour tutoring sessions each week, Mondays through Thursday from 4:00-7:00pm. Students are in elementary and middle school, and occasionally in high school. And, we ask volunteers to commit to tutoring for as much of the school year as possible. Tutors are also needed to help during the summer months. Students age 15 and older are welcome to tutor with RYS.
Linkages to Learning program at Rosemont Elementary School, 16400 Alden Avenue in Gaithersburg: We ask volunteers to commit to a 1.5 hour tutoring session each week on Wednesdays from 3:00-4:30pm. Students are in 2nd through 5th grades. And, we ask volunteers to commit to tutoring for as much of the school year as possible. Tutors are also needed to help during the summer months. Students age 16 and older are welcome to tutor with RYS.
To apply, complete the FSI Volunteer Application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions. To read more about any of these programs, go to www.fs-inc.org.
All FSI regular volunteers who are 18 years and older working with children will need to complete an online background check and submit a notarized Child Protective Services form.