Be a tutor, change a life!
37 people are interested
Family Services, Inc. is looking for student and adult tutors to offer direction, support, and academic guidance to an elementary, middle or high school student to build his/her self-confidence and improve his/her school experience.
Regional Youth Services program at 620 East Diamond Avenue, Suite H in Gaithersburg
- Students are in elementary through high school
- All subject areas are needed, especially math
- Mondays-Thursdays from 4:00-7:00pm
- Tutors are asked to commit to 1-2 one-hour sessions each week
- Students 15 and older are welcome to tutor with RYS
Key responsibilities include:
- Attend tutoring sessions as scheduled and on time; notify staff in advance of any absence
- Provide encouragement and support while assisting the student through the learning process
- Provide instruction in good study habits
- Observe confidentiality at all times
- Keep staff informed about your tutoring experience or any concerns you may have
- Sensitive and adaptable to student needs
- Acceptance of cultural, economic, and familial differences
- Enthusiasm for working with students
- No previous teaching or tutoring experience necessary
- Must have transportation to and from the tutoring site
We ask volunteers to commit to tutoring for as much of the school year as possible. Tutors are also needed to help during the summer months.
To learn more and to apply, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All volunteers will be asked to attend a new volunteer orientation to learn more about Family Services and our volunteer policies. All FSI regular volunteers who are 18 years and older working with children will need to complete an online background check and submit a notarized Child Protective Services form.
We'll work with your schedule.
620 East Diamond Avenue, Suite HGaithersburgGaithersburg, MD 20877
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours/week
- completion of FSI volunteer application