Volunteering at Open Arms Ministry Drop-In
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
16 people are interested
Role: Drop-In Support
Mission: Open Arms Drop-In provides basic relief services to individuals struggling with homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless. More than relief from the weather outside, this drop-in program enables those who come to share a meal with friends and get connected to resources. Guests also receive help meeting physical needs like clothing, toiletries, and basic healthcare. Referrals are available for services such as overnight shelter, recovery, and education.
Objective: The Drop-In Support role is a cross-functional position ensures that the activities and programming of the Drop-In Center run effectively and efficiently. Volunteers may be engaged in a number of activities on a particular day, serving where the need is greatest. This will include supporting the kitchen, dining area, clothing distribution, and other programs. Drop-In Support should anticipate need and adapt in a fluid environment.
General responsibilities include:
- Prepare and serve meals
- Kitchen and dining area clean-up
- Organize and stock food
- Assist at the front desk
- Organize and distribute clothes
- Clean and organize clothing store room
- Build relationships with the people served
- Love and care for those in need and a desire to see individuals succeed
- Flexibility and consistency
- Ability to respond appropriately in tense or uncomfortable situations
- Ability to work independently and in groups
- Willingness to serve and take on routine tasks
- Organizational skills
- Ability to cook
- Basic computer skills
- Tuesday and/or Wednesday 9:30am - 2:30pm (at 1-2 hour shifts within this time frame)
- Thursday 9:30am - 2:30pm (beginning November 2018)
- Any volunteers under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
We'll work with your schedule.
2649 N Francisco AveChicago, IL 60647
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Weekly or every other week preferred