Refugee Family Reunification Volunteer
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where1400 N Meridian StIndianapolis, IN 46202
Refugees who enter the United States sometimes have been separated from their immediate family members and come to our country without their family intact. The United States provides an opportunity for these refugees to submit an application requesting that their family members be reunited with them. The Refugee Family Reunification volunteer would work with newly arrived refugees to submit this request, including the following:
- Obtain information from the refugee in order to complete the application
- Work with the refugee to ensure the right documents are collected for the application packet
- Help the refugee to understand the process and time frame
- Walk alongside the refugee through the process by explaining the next steps, ensuring that each next step is accomplished without unnecessary delay
- Advocate for the refugee when necessary
- Be a liaison between the refugee and program staff
Volunteers will have the opportunity to listen to refugees share their stories, participate in a very important part of the refugee’s life - the reuniting of their family - learn about the refugee family reunification process, and experience the joy and excitement with refugees as their family members arrive in the United States.
Volunteers must be enthusiastic and energetic about helping refugees, accepting of religious and cultural diversity, committed and persistent in seeking intended goals, and be willing to uphold the mission and vision of Catholic Charities and represent the agency in its values.
The family reunification process is a very long process, often up to a year or more. There are often long waiting periods where nothing needs to be done. Nevertheless, volunteers are vital even in these waiting periods in helping refugees to remain patient and communicating status of the process.Recommended time commitment would be 10 hours a week or more.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10 hours per week