Adult Education - Volunteers Needed!
29 people are interested
Assist our Adult Education Program which tutors 200 students per year with Reading, Writing, Math, Social Studies and Science with students ranging from learning low literacy to college prep. The aim of the Program is for students to receive their NJ High School Diploma.
A volunteer tutor at the Mercer Street Friends Career Center will assist with one-on-one and small group academic instruction, as directed by the program’s coordinator/instructor. This may include instruction of and practice with: reading, writing, math, social studies, science, life skills, and career/workplace skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
In alignment with the Agency’s mission of "Bridging opportunity gaps...helping families and communities make the journey out of poverty"...
The volunteer tutor will assist with the instruction and practice of curricula, enabling student success and fulfilling the goals and outcomes defined by grant obligations. Specific duties may include:
- Implement instruction aligned to College and Career Readiness Standards that will prepare students for the TASC exam, resulting in a High School Diploma from the State of New Jersey (formerly a GED).
- Implement instruction of workplace and career skills that will enable future academic, career, and personal success.
- Assist in creating and organizing curriculum to align with the College Career Readiness Standards.
- Individualizing instruction to meet the learning accommodations of the student.
Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Experience and/or interest in working with a culturally diverse population of adult learners--demonstrating professionalism, cultural sensitivity, and trauma awareness.
- Working with individuals with varying academic abilities and prior knowledge, and often with specific learning accommodations.
- Academic and/or professional experience in content area.
- Prior teaching or tutoring experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
We'll work with your schedule.
7 Dunmore Ave.Ewing Township, NJ 08618
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Must be at least 18