Nursing Volunteer for Veterans in Community Living Center Uptown Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center
10 people are interested
Nursing Volunteer Community Living Center Uptown Division
(If you are interested in this position please send an email to: VhaaugVoluntaryService@va.gov )
2. Purpose of Assignment
The Nursing Volunteer is responsible for helping unit staff provide patient centered care. Volunteer must provide a superior customer service experience for each patient. In this visible role, it is important that the volunteer maintains a positive attitude and professional appearance at all times. The volunteer reports to the Nurse Manager of the assigned unit.
· Greets each patient with a smile, call them by name, engage in conversation.
· Treats all patients, patient visitors and staff in a courteous, friendly and professional manner.
· Always looks out for patient safety.
· Transports patients to appointments as directed (volunteers cannot lift or transfer patients)
· Reports accidents and safety situations/concerns to the Nurse Manager.
· Assists Veterans during meals with serving trays by opening containers, cutting food and collecting trays
· Restock supply areas.
· Transports specimens to lab.
· Provides companionship
· Sit with patients who may be at risk for falls
· Accompany patients not requiring 1:1 /close observation to smoking area, canteen, etc.
· Deliver water/mail to patients
· Answer phones/take messages; assist visitors, answer patient call lights
· Fill patient pitchers with water/ice, provide extra cups and straws as needed
· Tidying up overbed tables especially prior to meal tray delivery
· Provide moistened washcloth for face and hand hygiene before meals
· Disinfecting work surfaces (countertops, wheelchairs, phones, and overbed tables) using appropriate disinfectant wipes
· Make rounds every 30 - 60 minutes
4. Time Commitment
Shifts 8 a.m. - Noon, Noon - 4 p.m., 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. or negotiated. Volunteers can work 1 or more shifts per week as agreed upon with Nurse Manager.
· Exceptional customer service skills.
· Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
· Pass a background check
· Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
· Able to deal with physical, mental and/or hearing impaired individuals
· Know your boundaries
· Must be able to push patients in wheelchairs
· Volunteer must be healthy day of volunteering
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a courteous manner.
· Problem solving skills and ability to make sound decisions.
· Requires periods of sitting, standing and walking.
· Limit personal calls and texting to lunch and break periods
6. Training and Skill Development
· Initial and annual volunteer training.
· Specific nursing unit training
Volunteer reports to: Assigned Unit Nurse Manager
Feedback: Annual written
8. Supporting policies
* VHA Handbook 1620.01
* Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-01
This position is located in one of our inpatient nursing units. This is a care setting for our Veterans located at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, 1 Freedom Way, Augusta, GA.
· Meal provided for volunteers working a 4 or more hour shift.
· Structured recognition/awards program
· Annual Flu Shot at no cost
· Eligible to join credit union
· Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
We'll work with your schedule.
Augusta VA Medical Center1 Freedom WayAugusta, GA 30904
- Veteran Care
- We will take what you can give!