Nursing Volunteer Community Living Center Uptown Division
(If you are interested in this position please send an email to: VhaaugVoluntaryService@va.gov )
2. Purpose of Assignment
The Nursing Volunteer is responsible for helping unit staff provide patient centered care. Volunteer must provide a superior customer service experience for each patient. In this visible role, it is important that the volunteer maintains a positive attitude and professional appearance at all times. The volunteer reports to the Nurse Manager of the assigned unit.
· Greets each patient with a smile, call them by name, engage in conversation.
· Treats all patients, patient visitors and staff in a courteous, friendly and professional manner.
· Always looks out for patient safety.
· Transports patients to appointments as directed (volunteers cannot lift or transfer patients)
· Reports accidents and safety situations/concerns to the Nurse Manager.
· Assists Veterans during meals with serving trays by opening containers, cutting food and collecting trays
· Restock supply areas.
· Transports specimens to lab.
· Provides companionship
· Sit with patients who may be at risk for falls
· Accompany patients not requiring 1:1 /close observation to smoking area, canteen, etc.
· Deliver water/mail to patients
· Answer phones/take messages; assist visitors, answer patient call lights
· Fill patient pitchers with water/ice, provide extra cups and straws as needed
· Tidying up overbed tables especially prior to meal tray delivery
· Provide moistened washcloth for face and hand hygiene before meals
· Disinfecting work surfaces (countertops, wheelchairs, phones, and overbed tables) using appropriate disinfectant wipes
· Make rounds every 30 - 60 minutes
4. Time Commitment
Shifts 8 a.m. - Noon, Noon - 4 p.m., 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. or negotiated. Volunteers can work 1 or more shifts per week as agreed upon with Nurse Manager.
· Exceptional customer service skills.
· Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
· Pass a background check
· Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
· Able to deal with physical, mental and/or hearing impaired individuals
· Know your boundaries
· Must be able to push patients in wheelchairs
· Volunteer must be healthy day of volunteering
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a courteous manner.
· Problem solving skills and ability to make sound decisions.
· Requires periods of sitting, standing and walking.
· Limit personal calls and texting to lunch and break periods
6. Training and Skill Development
· Initial and annual volunteer training.
· Specific nursing unit training
Volunteer reports to: Assigned Unit Nurse Manager
Feedback: Annual written
8. Supporting policies
* VHA Handbook 1620.01
* Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-01
This position is located in one of our inpatient nursing units. This is a care setting for our Veterans located at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, 1 Freedom Way, Augusta, GA.
· Meal provided for volunteers working a 4 or more hour shift.
· Structured recognition/awards program
· Annual Flu Shot at no cost
· Eligible to join credit union
· Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
- Veteran Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- We will take what you can give!
- Community Living Center Holiday...
- Volunteer Van Driver for...
- Van Driver for Veterans at the...
- Ambassador Charlie Norwood...
- Volunteer Driver for Veterans...
- Distribution Technician...
- Veterans Health Education and...
- Wheelchair Repair Downtown...
- Prosethetics Clerical and...
- Information Desk (Front Line...
- Beneficiary Travel Customer...
- Wheelchair Concierge & Greeter
- Appointment Reminder for...
- Nursing Volunteer for Veterans...
- Community Living Center Senior...
- Musician Volunteer Charlie...
- Front Desk Clerk Volunteer...
- Wheelchair Concierge Service...
- Volunteer Van Driver For...
- Fisher House Volunteer Charlie...