Hundreds of families seek mentoring services through CBSBB each year - we can’t serve them without volunteers like you!
While we are need of volunteers across New York City, we have a pressing need for volunteer mentors in Brooklyn starting late fall / early winter 2017.
A Match is...
- The relationship between a Big (volunteer mentor) and a Little (mentee)
- Bigs serve as positive role models and friends who help Littles set and accomplish goals
- Bigs and Littles plan and participate in fun activities together which form a lasting impact for both individuals
- Supported by a Match Coordinator (Masters level social worker or equivalent) at the agency
Bigs are ...
- 21 years old or older
- Interested in mentoring a Little of the same gender, age 7-17, who lives in the five boroughs
- Willing and able to finance match outings (low or no-cost outings are highly encouraged)
- Willing to pick up / drop off Little for outings if the Little doesn’t travel independently
- From all walks of life! Men, people of color, volunteers ages 50+, individuals of all faith backgrounds, and Spanish speakers highly encouraged to apply
Big and Little matches connect...
- Over time: Bigs and Littles each commit to the match relationship for at least one year
- Face-to-face: twice per month for about eight total hours (usually on the weekends)
- Over the phone: once weekly to catch up
- To learn skills: workshops are offered throughout the year at the CBSBB office for hands-on match support and skill-building
Founded in 1902, the mission of Catholic Big Sisters Big Brothers is to address the social, emotional and academic challenges facing youth living in New York City’s low-income neighborhoods by providing one-to-one community based mentoring services supported by life skills programming, crisis intervention, family support and referral assistance. We seek to improve the lives of children of all faiths, empowering them to recognize, reach for and achieve their full potential as self-sufficient adults.
Many of CBSBB’s Littles are youth from first-generation and/or low-income families. Our mentees face poverty, a shortage of practical skills, and a lack of exposure to opportunities in NYC. Bigs who serve with CBSBB make a difference in the lives of their Littles! 92% of CBSBB 12th grade students graduate high school and 83% of CBSBB high school graduates enter college or a job training program, compared to 50% of their peers.
Interested? Contact us...
- On the internet: cbsbb.org/volunteers
- On the phone: 212-475-3291 x502
- On social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Mentoring not a good fit right now? Get in touch to learn how you can support us with volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, and other engagement opportunities at CBSBB.
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training