Tax Clinic Intake Specialist (no experience required) with Vol. Income Tax Assist. program (VITA)
WhenSat Jan 27, 2018 08:45 AM - Sat Apr 14, 2018 01:00 PM
WhereEMERGE Community Development ECTC1834 Emerson Ave NMinneapolis, MN 55411
EMERGE Community Development (EMERGE) seeks volunteers to help low-to-moderate income families and individuals in North Minneapolis and Hennepin County prepare and file state and federal tax returns.
In 2017 alone, EMERGE and its VITA volunteers returned $255,000 in federal refunds to working people with low-to-moderate incomes in the North Minneapolis community. As an Intake Specialist, you will make a difference in the lives of many by working one-to-one with community members and by providing critical support to the preparers and reviewers of the return, helping to streamline the multi-step process. In this key role you are only required to certify according to the VITA program’s Volunteer Standards of Conduct and complete the assessment for Intake/Interview & Quality Review. As an Intake Specialist, you help the participants navigate the tax preparation process, and the impact of your work is immediate and rewarding.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcome families and individuals (filers) seeking tax filing services
- Answer questions, explain the process and secure necessary signatures for completed tax returns
- Assist with intake, ensuring filers meet income eligibility requirements and have necessary paperwork
- Direct filers to on-site financial services and facility amenities
- Work cooperatively with filers, staff and other volunteers to provide high-quality tax filing service
- Maintain strict confidentiality, providing as much privacy as logistically possible
- Tax experience not required, complete a basic certification for Interview and Intake personnel
- Friendly and approachable, delivering great customer service
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
GREAT REASONS WHY
- Immediate gratification
- No experience required
- Become part of a program that has helped people file tax returns at no cost for more than four decades.
Give a few hours of your time, and help Minneapolis families get thousands in return!
COMMITMENT AND TIMELINE
November - December 2017.............Fill out EMERGE Volunteer application and meet with Volunteer Supervisor
December 2017 - January 2018.......Complete approximately 6 hours of training, additional training optional
January 2018........................................Successfully complete open book IRS certification test for Volunteer Standard of Conduct and Intake/Interview & Quality Review
January 27 - April 14 2018.................Volunteer Saturday mornings, 8:45 am - 1 pm, helping filers navigate the tax process at the EMERGE Career and Technology Center (Emerson Ave N)
(Volunteers may take two Saturdays off between late February and the end of March)
Interested: Please send an email to Terri Welch at email@example.com or call 612-787-3788 and ask that an application be sent.
- Office Reception
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 4-5 months