South Bronx United is seeking energetic individuals with a passion for youth development and sports to join the Up2Us Coaching program. Each South Bronx United Up2Us member will serve as the Team Mentor and head or assistant soccer coach for a team of youth within the SBU Academy Program. In addition to mentoring and coaching a competitive soccer team, the Up2Us member will have an additional focus area, either helping with coordination and coaching of SBU’s Community Soccer Programs OR assisting with coordination and program delivery of the SBU After School Tutoring/College Prep Programs. Up2Us members will have the opportunity to see the inner working of a small, growing non profit and gain professional experience and skills in the fields of education, teaching, counseling, and coaching.
As a part time position this requires approximately 15-20 hours/week. The full time position requires 35-40 hours a week. A living stipend will be offered in accordance with the Up2Us part-time position policies. Additionally, those who complete the year will be considered for further paid SBU coaching positions.
In addition to site-specific duties at South Bronx United, members are also responsible for the following Up2Us program requirements: Completing timesheets; Attending the Up2Us National Coaching Institute, Attending professional development and training seminars every other month; Reflecting on their work in guided reflection logs; and Participating in a National Day of Service
The Up2Us program is an intense experience and members are asked to go above and beyond each and every day at their hosts site (South Bronx United). Being a part of the Up2Us program connects members both with their local communities and a larger national movement of people dedicated to serving youth through sports. Up2Us positions are offered in conjunction with the Americorps or Office of Juvenile Justice mentorship programs.
As a Team Mentor & Coach, the Up2Us member will:
* Serve as first point of staff level contact for a group of approx 20 youth (mentees)
* Help plan, set, and keep students on their program schedule
* Maintain weekly contact with each mentee in person and via phone,
* Maintain regular contact with mentees’ parent/guardian
* Monitor student academic performance, and assist in the collection of student report cards, transcripts, and school documents,
* Work with SBU Youth Counselor and Education Director to identify social, emotional, and academic issues or concerns
* Check email daily and maintain good communication with SBU office staff
* Enforce attendance and program policies
* Serve as a head or assistant coach for 1 SBU travel soccer team, planning and leading training sessions, coaching at games, and travelling with students to games and events.
* Track attendance data from soccer and academic sessions.
* Complete progress reports for each mentee two times per year.
Additionally Up2Us Coaches will either:
* Assist with coordination and program delivery of the After School Tutoring Program and/or College Prep program, helping managing the learning environment, tracking student attendance and providing direct academic support
* Assist with the coordination of the SBU recreational program, supporting volunteer soccer coaches, leading recreational practices, and helping with coach trainings.
SBU Office: South Bronx United, 594 Grand Concourse, Suite 2, Bronx, NY 10451
Academic Site: Urban Assembly School for Careers in Sports, 730 Concourse Village West, Bronx, NY
Primary Soccer Site: Macomb’s Dam Park, 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451
*Most service will be performed at soccer or academic sites
The term of service runs August 1, 2017-July 31, 2018. The following hours are approximate, times may change slightly.
Team Coach & Mentor w/Soccer Focus
* T/Th, 6-8pm (Academy Soccer Practice)
* T/W/Th, 3:30-6pm (Recreational Practice) OR Sat, 8-3pm (Recreational Games)
* Sun (dependent on game schedules)
Team Coach & Mentor w/Academic Focus
* M/W, 5:30-8pm OR T/Th, 3:30-6pm (Tutoring/College Prep)
* T/Th, 6-8pm (Academy Soccer Practice)
* Sat or Sun (dependent on game schedules)
**Those serving in a full time capacity will coach and mentor 2 teams and will assist with soccer programming on both Saturdays and Sunday**
Coaches will receive a $9,000 living stipend for their service over the course of 12 months as well as a $500 bonus upon successful completion of their one year term of service. All HR related matters are handled by Up2Us. Learn more about the Up2Us program at https://www.up2us.org/coach-across-america.
**Those working full time will receive approx 15,000 and a 5,700 educational award**
Enthusiastic to work with youth, committed to holistic youth development with a strong knowledge of soccer. Previous coaching experience is not a necessity. Coach/Mentors with an Academic Focus should have a strong academic background and feel comfortable with SAT level math and English. Coach must also be a us citizen or permanent resident.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume.
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Non Profit Development Internship
- College Prep Tutor - SAT Prep
- Volunteer Coordinator -...
- Academic Coach (After School...
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Teaching...
- Soccer Coach-Mentor: SBU Global...
- ESOL Tutor
- College Prep Tutor - Seniors
- College Prep Mentor
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Head Coach & Mentor for Girls...
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Coaching...
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor
- After School Soccer Coach
- College Prep Tutor - Sophomores
- AmeriCorps UP2US Coach & Mentor
- Education Internship
- Youth Recreational Soccer Coach