Make a difference and help a student achieve their full academic potential by being an afterschool tutor or homework helper. The Inglewood Library has a wealth of resources and plenty of students that need a helping hand with navigating homework assignments. We seek dedicated and committed volunteers to provide guidance to students and foster a lifelong passion for learning and academic success.
As a tutor you’ll be making a positive impact on the study habits of local youths and developing literacy skills within the community. Books, computers, and digital resources are available at the library along with spaces dedicated just to tutoring. Qualities that are conducive to an enriching and successful tutoring experience include:
- A welcoming and friendly demeanor.
- Excellent communication skills with active listening particularly emphasized.
- Strong reading and writing background.
- Proficiency with computers.
- A collaborative spirit.
But the foremost qualities needed to enhance the tutoring experience are patience, flexibility, and a desire to build meaningful academic connections with a student. This is a good opportunity for high school students looking to fulfill extracurricular service hours. A consistent schedule and a minimum of a two-month commitment would be ideal. Other responsibilities include:
- Actively listen to students and provide assistance with homework assignments and school projects.
- Provide positive encouragement.
- Be responsive to questions and create a safe space for the student to be inquisitive and engaged.
- Assist elementary school students with reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Guide students through math concepts and aid with solving math problems.
- Empower students to use library resources such as databases, study guides, and practice tests online.
- Provide constructive feedback to student essays and other writing assignments.
- Engage students in discussions about educational and career interests.
- Communicate with volunteer coordinator about student needs and research questions.
Volunteering as a tutor for the Inglewood Library is an opportunity to serve your community and help cultivate an academically robust space for children and teens to excel and thrive. Volunteership also provides a chance to develop your portfolio and resume for future jobs and college applications.
Interested parties can contact librarian Tommy Vinh Bui at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 412-5649.
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- Computer Science
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- One or two hours a week.