Are you an amazing communicator? Want to help run the operations side at America’s next big journalism outfit?
WhoWhatWhy , a respected, exciting, nonprofit news organization, is looking for driven, organized individuals to serve as Operations Managers.
Using our unique model of relying primarily upon skilled volunteers, we’re growing fast and generating a ton of ideas and projects. Now, we’re in great need of folks to map and organize the flow.
In this role, you’ll track meetings, tasks, projects and ideas, as well as develop plans and ensure things get done on time. More importantly, you will help establish robust and scalable processes and channels that allow our operation to run smoothly and coherently.
While prior internal operations experience is helpful, we are more interested in whether you have the aptitude, mindset and commitment for this important and challenging work.
Who are we? WhoWhatWhy is a radically different news outfit - for a public equally tired of irresponsible "fake news" and of the establishment media’s pack mentality and limited curiosity. We hunt for those narratives that somehow never get told - even by the "hot news brands" that at first blush seem so edgy and bold. We dig deep, identifying underlying causes of political crises and structural problems that, if addressed, could result in a better world for all.
If you’re on board with that and have the skills and time to match, we invite you to join our family of motivated, talented volunteers. You’ll be able to do this part-time, on your own schedule and from the comfort of your home.
To apply, send us your resume and a detailed cover letter that shows you have studied our brand and explains why you are qualified for this position.
- Oversee all operational processes on email, Basecamp, Google Drive and more
- Assigns managers to "direct traffic" within each platform and ensure that all conversations are effective and lead to concrete results
- Study effectiveness of internal communications structure and propose revisions of departmental responsibilities and addition of new units
- Create and manage a "sorting station" for incoming ideas, complaints and suggestions
- Communicate with more than 50 team members across departments
- Track conference calls to compile meeting notes
- Navigating technically complex situations with multiple parts
- Alert department heads of new developments and processes
- Work alongside CEO to strategize growth and streamline internal operations
- 5+ years of managerial or operations experience
- Experience working in a virtual environment is a strong plus but not required
- Strong spoken and written English
- A highly-organized and self-motivated attitude
- The ability to delegate tasks, manage others and work in a team
- A willingness to commit long term and help us develop into a singular force for good journalism - and the public good
- Office Management
- Content Management Systems
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10-15 hours/week
- JFK Assassination Records:...
- Get the Best out of Others:...
- Managing Editor at Media...
- Website User Experience Designer...
- Best Training Ever --...
- JFK ASSASSINATION: RESEARCHER...
- Salesforce Best Practices...
- Salesforce Account Manager
- Volunteer IT Manager Needed at...
- Wikipedia Department Manager -...
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) -...
- Virtual Fundraising Manager
- Showrunner for News and...
- Best Training Ever: Become a...
- Recruiter for Young Activists...
- Historical Whodunit Book Project...
- Fundraising Development Manager
- Editorial Administrative Assistant
- PUBLIC SPEAKING BOOKER