Senior Companion Volunteer
2 people are interested
The Volunteer Companion will work directly with CAPI’s Hmong Seniors’ Program to help sustain independent living and provide companionship to Hmong seniors (ages 65+) living in North Minneapolis. Volunteer Companions will attend monthly community events and offer support and assistance by checking in with a Hmong senior at least twice per month, including one home visit. Companions will help with simple household chores, and their presence serves to reduce social isolation among the seniors.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Attend monthly community events with a group of Hmong seniors; outings facilitated by CAPI staff
- Check in with a Hmong senior at least twice a month; one visit in-person or two phone calls
- Encourage independent living by helping seniors with simple household chores and by engaging in homemaking activities
- Reduce isolation for seniors through in-home visits, phone calls, and monthly group outings
- Commitments range from short-term (6 months) to long-term (1 year), with the option to extend upon request
- Monthly outings vary and will typically be held in the mornings or early afternoon for several hours
- Volunteers will be supervised by the Seniors Advocate and Program Assistant (Public Ally) and will be responsible for communicating any higher-level service needs of the clients
CAPI’s Hmong Seniors’ Program has a goal of enhancing the capacity of low-income North Minneapolis Hmong seniors (ages 65+) to sustain independent community living. The program’s overall goal is to ensure that vulnerable Hmong seniors are fully connected to the support services they need in order to improve their quality of life and prevent long-term nursing home placements.
- Hmong-speaking volunteers desired to promote culturally and linguistically appropriate community support
- Volunteers must be 18 and older
- Must have access to transportation to and from seniors’ homes and CAPI building in North Minneapolis
- Ability to perform simple household chores
- Must have the aptitude to build effective relationships with seniors
- Must pass a background check to ensure the safety of the seniors
- All volunteers shall respect and maintain confidentiality of all records, materials and communications concerning clients, staff and volunteers
- Must have effective communication skills working with seniors and reporting to the Volunteer Coordinator
- Attend monthly volunteer meetings
We'll work with your schedule.
Minneapolis AreaMinneapolis, MN 55406
- Elder care
- Spiritual Healing
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible! Senior outing time varies.