The Fruit Tree Planting Foundation (FTPF) is an award-winning international nonprofit charity dedicated to planting fruit trees to alleviate world hunger, combat global warming, strengthen communities, and improve the surrounding air, soil, and water. FTPF programs strategically donate orchards where the harvest will best serve communities for generations, at places such as public schools, city parks, community gardens, low-income neighborhoods, Native American reservations, international hunger relief sites, and animal sanctuaries. FTPF’s unique mission benefits the environment, human health, and animal welfare-all at once! For more information please visit www.ftpf.org.
FTPF is looking for an independent contractor arborist for an exciting and rewarding opportunity to travel to interesting locations, interact with highly motivated volunteers, and manage the planting of fruit trees to benefit communities as part of our programs. Some of our supporters have called this a dream job for the right person.
- To provide onsite arboricultural expertise and management for FTPF projects, including all aspects of project planning, coordination, and implementation (requires excellent arboricultural knowledge).
- To work with volunteers and students, providing on-site instruction on proper planting techniques, aftercare workshops, and environmental education (requires excellent presentation and teaching skills).
- Serve as an official spokesperson in the media, and at various planting events and public speaking opportunities (requires excellent public speaking skills).
- To complete all associated program record keeping, paperwork, and reports (requires excellent writing skills and attention to detail).
- Work flexible hours from your home office and travel to project sites for plantings
- Hourly stipend
- Part-time to start with limited hours based on project availability, with potential for growth and increased hours over time
- Reports to Executive Director
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Project planning and implementation including, but not limited to, site evaluation, orchard design, mobilizing volunteers, planning logistics, and holding workshops
- Public speaking and media spokesperson tasks
- Various tasks, as assigned, including clerical tasks as requested by supervisor
- ISA arborist certification preferred, advanced horticulture/arboriculture degree, or equivalent, with expertise and practical experience planting and caring for fruit trees organically
- Excellent written, verbal, computer, and organizational skills
- Ability to manage volunteers and give educational presentations to students and communities
- Ability to learn new duties and responsibilities quickly and handle multiple projects at once
- Ability to travel frequently, sometimes for lengthy periods, to project locations
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization & the ability to promote them in a professional manner
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Public Speaking
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Belief in our mission and values to create ethical, sustainable, perennial orchards