Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Nutrition program prepares 72,000 meals a year. Meals are delivered to JFS’s three thriving Social and Wellness Centers for Adults 60+ and the JFS Foodmobile program. Hundreds of older adults enjoy the delicious kosher meals at the College Avenue Center (CAC) each year. At the College Avenue Center, meals are available by donation. No one is refused a meal if they cannot pay.
Goal of Position:
To prepare for daily lunches by creating a welcoming restaurant atmosphere for older adult members. Volunteers serve each member with dignity and respect and make their dining experience enjoyable.
- Opportunity to help older adults feel welcomed at the College Avenue Center
- Opportunity to interact with older adults and learn their stories
- Set up meal tables with table clothes, flowers, cups and cutlery
- Wrap silverware
- Package bread for serving
- Greet older adult members as they enter lunch room
- Help members to their seat, if necessary
- Serve meals from the kitchen to tables
- Serve hot and cold beverages
- Bus tables after meals are completed
- Must be friendly, outgoing, cheerful, kind and courteous
- Enjoy working and interacting with older adults
- Must be able to move quickly while carrying hot and cold plates
- Must have reliable transportation to CAC
- Must be at least 13 years or older
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volunteer
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Volunteer Services staff
The College Avenue Center is open Monday through Friday and Sundays. Volunteer Servers are needed from 10:00am to 1:00pm for set up and clean up. Volunteers can sign up for daily, weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly shifts. These shifts can also be broken up into set up and servers.
Temple Emanu-El * 6299 Capri Drive * San Diego, CA 92120
- People Skills
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 13
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Lunch Service Table Captain
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Military Distribution Lead
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Performer/Entertainer for Older...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Lunch Server
- Public Transportation Navigator
- Alzheimer's Disease Initiative...