Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
College Avenue Social & Wellness Center is one of two thriving JFS older adult centers. Hundreds of participants enjoy daily meals, exercise classes, art classes, games, cultural programs, and live entertainment. This is a home away from home for many older adults.
Goal of Position:
College Avenue is proud to offer a monthly farmer’s market to its members in order to access to fresh produce to the community. A lead volunteer is needed to organize produce in an attractive setting and to distribute the fresh produce. This is a great opportunity for someone to practice leadership skills, be creative with table top presentations, and who wants to interact with older adults.
- Support older adults in making healthy eating decisions
- Practice event management and table/booth decorating skills
- Opportunity to interact with older adults and learn their stories
- Gain valuable customer service skills
- Work with a small group of volunteers and staff to receive delivery of produce from Hand Up Youth Food Pantry at JFS delivery
- Set up display on patio or in dining room (pending weather) in an attractive manner using burlap, wooden boxes
- Distribute the fresh produce to seniors and re-fill up bins as needed
- Answer questions about produce and share ways to prepare produce
- Must speak clearly and have strong verbal skills
- Can organize materials in a way that is easy for others to understand
- Friendly and can work well with seniors who may ask questions frequently
- Enjoys working on a team and can delegate tasks respectfully
- Motivated and self-reliant
- Creative with food preparation and recipes
- Ability to stand for 4 hour period
- Can lift bins that are 25-35 pounds
- Can set up a space quickly and efficiently
- Can interact with seniors with enthusiasm, patience, and respect
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the College Avenue Center
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Complete Volunteer Interview and Orientation with JFS Volunteer Engagement team
3 - 4 volunteers twice a month on the second and fourth Wednesday between 11:45am - 1:30pm (set up 11:45am - 12:00pm, 12:00pm-1:00pm, break down 1:00pm-1:15pm/1:30pm)
Temple Emanu-El ● 6299 Capri Drive ● San Diego, CA 92120
Social & Wellness Center Program Manager/Office Coordinator
- People Skills
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Table Captain- Balboa Ave Older...
- Development Administrative...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Receptionist Assistant
- Performer/Entertainer for Older...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...
- Public Transportation Navigator