Chester County Futures’ "Futures AHEAD" monthly meeting program provides volunteers with the opportunity to work directly with our 7 th and 8 th grade students in an informal yet enriching environment. Volunteers provide students with educational and professional advice while developing meaningful relationships through consistent interaction and encouragement. Our goal for the Futures AHEAD monthly meeting program is to light a spark within each student to begin the journey to collegiate and career success; as a volunteer, you will play a major role in this life-changing program!
Futures AHEAD is designed to provide early intervention to motivated, low-income students in grades 7 and 8 to set them on the path toward higher education. We do this through enrichment camps,monthly meetings, and our annual College and Career Expo.
For greatest success, our monthly meetings require the participation of adult volunteers willing to engage and encourage students in meaningful interaction.
Our Futures AHEAD monthly meetings are held on school grounds or off-site. Meetings provide:
- Defined learning activities on topics such as: teamwork, communication skills, critical thinking
- Academic accountability and individual guidance through regular staff-student review of report cards
- Career and college exposure through interaction with corporate partner volunteers
Volunteers are a critical component of our Futures AHEAD monthly meetings. Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Providing opportunities for students to develop interpersonal skills
- Sharing personal stories as they relate to educational and career choices
- Engaging with students in staff-guided learning activities
- Modeling professionalism
- Expressing support and belief in our students’ abilities and worth
Volunteers attend seven 3-hour meetings, which take place after school.
Volunteers are required to attend a brief training session led by CCF staff members that provides an overview of the policies.
Monthly Meeting volunteers do not require clearances and are at no time responsible for the management or safety of the students.
* This is a great opportunity to volunteer with friends or coworkers; working as a team can ensure coverage for all dates. The students appreciate your commitment and regular attendance.
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 3 hours per month