The HALO Trust is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization specializing in the removal of landmines and other explosive remnants of war, with projects in 20 countries and territories employing more than 7,500 people. HALO’s Washington, DC office works with foundations, government, international agencies and private donors to increase awareness of the impact of landmines and explosive remnants of war on post-conflict communities and to raise funds to support HALO’s teams working overseas.
The D.C. office is seeking enthusiastic volunteers, preferably with customer service, event-planning, or fundraising experience, to represent The HALO Trust at DC area local events. Responsibilities include:
- Attend a mandatory HALO orientation
- Assist with event set-up and break-down, and ensure that attendees have a positive experience
- Discuss HALO’s operations with members of the public in order to garner support and raise awareness regarding humanitarian mine clearance
- Assist with event promotion and outreach, including the distribution of marketing materials
- Support HALO staff as needed
Preferred Qualifications / Skills:
Applicants should have a strong interest in the non-profit and international development/humanitarian sector. We are looking for the following skills:
- Currently enrolled in or graduated from an accredited university with a Political Science, Foreign Policy, International Relations, Communications, Public Relations, or similar degree
- Friendly demeanor and comfortable interacting with members of the public
- Excellent verbal communications skills
- Commitment to professionalism with excellent interpersonal skills
- Foreign language proficiency a plus
What’s in it for you?
The position will give you valuable insight into the mine action and not-for-profit sector, particularly as it relates to public relations, event planning and execution, and fundraising. Your support will contribute significantly and meaningfully to our small US staff and HALO’s outreach efforts. If you are a student, you may be able to arrange academic credit, but you should check your individual academic institution for requirements.
This is an unpaid position. We offer a travel stipend to cover costs traveling to/from events. Volunteers will be asked to support events throughout the year as they are arranged, therefore there are no set hours.
Please send your resume to email@example.com. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants must be located within the DC metro area.
For more information about The HALO Trust, please visit our website at www.halotrust.org
- Event Planning / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Administrative Support
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- A few hours a month, depending on event schedule