ABOUT THE IRC:
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading non-sectarian non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency, and ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing
IRC SAN JOSE:
As one of the IRC’s 26 domestic offices, the San Jose office serves refugees, asylees, special immigrants from Iraq and Afghanistan, and victims of human trafficking in Santa Clara County. Since opening in 1975, the San Jose office has resettled over 20,000 refugees, who in turn have helped to build a stronger community. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential case management and immigration services to immigrant families, providing them with the resources and tools to rebuild their lives with safety and dignity.
Volunteers help manage the day-to-day operation of the IRC in San Jose by assisting clients to access services and staff, manage front desk operations, answer phones, and respond to general questions about the IRC. Volunteers may also assist Case Managers with individual client activities.
Ideal volunteer for this role:
- Comfortable completing tasks in an effective and relational manner
- Confident using online search tools, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
- Experienced with administration, record keeping, scheduling and logistics
- Successful when multi-tasking
- Able to excel with minimal supervision
- Experienced designing and/or working within existing operational systems, preferred
- Proficient in Arabic, Dari, Pashto, Spanish, Russian, preferred
Minimum Commitment: 6+ hrs/ week for a minimum 6 months during IRC business hours Mon - Fri from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Longer volunteer commitments encouraged.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and undergo a security background check
If interested in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee in San Jose, please complete a volunteer application by following this link . You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise.
- Problem Solving
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 15 hours/wk for at least 4 months
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- In-Kind Donations Team Volunteer
- Professional Mentors
- Immigration Intern
- Cultural Orientation
- Anti-Trafficking Intern
- Spanish Speaking Workshop...
- Client Coordination Support
- Resettlement Intern
- Vietnamese Speaking Workshop...
- ESL Internship
- Vietnamese Speaking Immigration...
- Financial Education Instructor...