The Order of Malta provide medical cover for many events around Ireland, our unit especially covers duties at the 3 Arena, Leopardstown Race Course and many family fun days, rugby events and much more.
We are always looking for volunteers to help out. You will be trained and equipped to the PHECC accredited level of First Aid Responder (FAR), trained in Assistance with Daily Living and Manual Handling. Dedication and commitment to the unit over a few years will see you upskilled to higher clinical levels (EFR,EMT) which are not subsidised by the volunteers.
A fee does apply as there are costs for the training and uniform + equipment, the total fee for all is €75, which is not upfront
As a volunteer you will receive information on duties through text and Facebook, you will be expected to complete at least one a month. You will always be paired with somebody with more experience who will help you learn through a hands on approach, we have EMTs, Paramedics, Advanced Paramedics and Doctors within the unit who also would be more than delighted to teach you a new technique or go through scenarios.
Training is heavily scenario based, and involves the use of the Ambulance to allow for better simulations.
If you are over 18, you will be offered to go on duty at Leopardstown Race course, the 3 arena, Body and Soul and Croke Park to name a few.
Tasks that the volunteer(s) will be expected to undertake:
- Attend training each week (Tuesday 8PM-9:30PM @ Rathfarnham Educate Together, Loretto avenue)
- Attend at least one duty a month when qualified
- Work well in a team and be able to take instructions as well as give them
- Stay with the unit for a decent amount of time and be active when you can
- Respond to incidents on duty and apply your training (help will always be on hand)
- Be nice and respectful to everyone you meet
Skills required for this role:
- Be fun and interactive
- Be able to learn from your encounters and apply your training
- Be punctual for duties and training
- Perform a stock check in your own kit bag and the Ambulance when it is in use (with help)
- Use Long range Freq. radios and TETRA radio systems to communicate with other teams/units or the duty manager (training provided)
Examples of hours for duties:(timings are from event start-event end)
Leopardstown - 5 Hours long 〡
Road races/Family fun days - 3/4 Hours long 〡
Bray Air Display - 8 Hours long 〡
3 Arena - 6 Hours long〡
ARCH club - 4 Hours long〡
We are also accepting cadets (10-16) so if you want to bring your little brother/sister/relative then feel free to do so! - If you're interested in doing so please highlight this in an email to me. 〡
- Patient Care
- First Aid / CPR
Good Match For
Kids Teens Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Tuesday Nights (8-9:30PM) + 1 Duty a month
- Garda Vetting: Will be completed when you join the unit