Member, Board of Directors
PUENTE LEARNING CENTER
The PUENTE Learning Center Board of Directors is legally responsible for oversight of the organization and has fiduciary responsibility for its operations and assets. The Board approves and supports the organization’s mission by providing guidance and establishing policies that lead to its fulfillment. This is achieved through the following responsibilities that are performed by the Board, Committees of the Board, and individual Directors:
LEADERSHIP, GOVERNANCE, AND OVERSIGHT
PUENTE is expanding its board and seeks individuals who strongly understand and support its mission and the community it serves.
Board members are volunteers who meet to ensure the legal and fiduciary responsibilities of the organization. Specific tasks include:
1. Hiring and assessing the performance of the Chief Executive Officer
2. Providing leadership for the fund development strategies of the organization
3. Determining PUENTE’s mission and vision, ensuring effective strategic planning
4. Monitoring and strengthening PUENTE programs and services
5. Providing financial oversight and monitoring the stewardship of assets.
6. Regularly assessing the board and its functions
BOARD MEMBER EXPECTATIONS
1. Commitment to and advocacy for PUENTE’s mission, values, and strategic priorities
2. Regular attendance at Board Meetings (quarterly), Committee Meetings (quarterly), and special events
3. Support of PUENTE Learning Center’s fundraising with a commitment to "give or get" $10,000 annually, through personal contributions and solicitations
4. Collegial, ethical, and respectful behavior at all times.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES may include expertise in several of the following or related areas:
1. Work in corporate, nonprofit, or government sector
2. Experience in philanthropy or fundraising
3. Leadership in organizations, community, or schools
4. Career in law, financial management, marketing, technology, or education
TERM OF OFFICE: Board members serve three-year terms and may be elected
to serve up to two consecutive terms. Start date is the quarterly Board meeting
following the Board nominee’s election.
About PUENTE LEARNING CENTER
501 S BOYLE AVE, LOS ANGELES, CA 90033, US
Our Mission: People United to Enrich the Neighborhood Through Education. Our Vision: Education is the bridge that empowers lives and builds thriving communities. Our Values: Commitment to Education, Collaborative Spirit, Culture of Excellence
PUENTE’s mission is stated in its name. Puente is also the Spanish word for bridge. Since 1985, PUENTE has been offering a bridge to opportunity by enabling children to develop a lifelong love of learning, helping parents succeed in their role as their children’s first and most important teachers, supporting youth as they move toward high school graduation and beyond, and assisting adults in need of English-language fluency and modern workforce skills.
PUENTE provides classroom instruction to more than 2,000 children, youth, and adults annually at its campus in Boyle Heights. Its services address the needs of the entire family.
All of PUENTE’s programs have developed as the result of the organization’s respectful and ongoing dialogue with the communities it serves, ensuring that the programs are a direct response to the training and educational needs of its constituents.
Since its inception, PUENTE has impacted the lives of more than 110,000 individuals, including those who learned to speak English and obtained better employment; individuals who earned high school diplomas and matriculated to college; and those who, having benefited from PUENTE’s youth programs themselves, choose to enroll their children in the organization’s effective early education programs to help ensure their success.