Help animals by supporting our nationwide volunteer program.
The District Leader Volunteer Program helps The HSUS build an even stronger platform of protection for all animals by recruiting and effectively engaging volunteer leaders in each of the 435 congressional districts across the nation to advance animal protection priorities. The Administrative Volunteer position assists staff by supporting our growing District Leader Volunteer Program.
We are looking for Administrative Volunteers (view expanded position description: http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/national-volunteer-center/position-descriptions/administrative_district_leader_position_description.pdf) to assist program staff with a variety of tasks to help strengthen this highly impactful volunteer program. Among other duties, volunteers provide general department support including helping to onboard new district leader volunteers and performing data entry and spreadsheet updates.
We’re looking for people to work in our Gaithersburg, Md., office during the work week (Monday-Friday) between 9:00 a.m. and 5 p.m.Benefits of volunteering
Volunteers will strengthen their organizational, critical thinking and time management skills while learning best practices in volunteer management. They will also foster a deeper understanding of animal protection issues while helping to support the mission of The HSUS.Becoming a volunteer
Requirements for our volunteers:
- Strong critical thinking, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word and Excel), strong familiarity with the Internet, and ability to work in a volunteer management database
- Able to demonstrate initiative, maintain enthusiasm, and adapt to sometimes rapidly changing priorities
- Able to work well independently and use good judgment
- Basic understanding of the District Leader Volunteer program
- Previous experience in a non-profit organization, animal protection/advocacy organization, or animal shelter a plus
- Volunteers have an initial commitment of three-five hours per week for six months; ongoing participation is preferred.
- Volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- We do NOT accept any court ordered community service.
- Please review the description and restrictions above to help determine if our volunteer opportunity is the right fit. If you would like to proceed, please fill out the volunteer application.
- After review of your application, a staff member will contact you to discuss the opportunity. If we mutually determine that the opportunity appears to be a good fit, you will be asked to fill out an authorization form allowing us to carry out a background check.
- Before becoming an official volunteer, you must pass the background check, sign a volunteer agreement, and sign a waiver/release of liability.
Fill out a volunteer application now »
- Data Entry
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 Months