AVID Tutor: Middle School and High School- SPRING Semester
9 people are interested
Description: AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) is a college readiness system implemented in Madison Metropolitan middle and high schools. AVID Tutors facilitate small, student-led tutorial groups, model and support the development of inquiry and critical thinking skills, and evaluate the quality of student thinking by grading student work. AVID Tutors work with AVID students during the academic school day and are an integral part of the AVID college readiness elective course. Additional duties include attending regular tutorial debrief meetings and additional professional learning scheduled throughout the year.
AVID Tutor Work Schedule:
- Tutors are required to work the same schedule on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, or Tuesday through Friday.
- Tutors will work in one of the four comprehensive high schools or one of eleven middle schools. Placement is based on tutor availability, academic strengths, work experience, and Madison Metropolitan High School and Middle School needs.
- Tutors are scheduled somewhere between 5-15 hours of work per week.
- Interviews for Spring semester will begin in early January. Training and placement will follow after training is complete.
AVID Tutor Qualifications:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to commit for the entirety of the 2018-2019 school year
- Organized, responsible, flexible, motivated, professional
- Previous experience working with diverse middle school or high school aged youth
- Positive recommendations around attendance, attitude, and performance
- Candidates are either currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution or a college graduate
AVID Tutor Perks:
- Opportunity to work with Madison youth in academic settings
- Flexible hours to work with your class schedule or other employment
- Starting pay $12/hr with professional development opportunities
- Fill out an application on the MMSD employment website.https://hr.madison.k12.wi.us/. Click on Apply Now and create an account.
For questions or further information, contact: Stephanie Marshall, AVID Tutor Coordinator:608-663-1902
We'll work with your schedule.
The Madison Metropolitan AreaMadison, WI 53703
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
- General Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-15 hours a week- during the academic school day.
- Bachelors degree or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution.