Parks Center Ambassador
Washington Parks & People seeks to grow city-wide park-based community health and vitality through innovation and partnerships. We own and operate the stunning Josephine Butler Parks Center opposite historic Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park in NW DC. We began work 27 years ago leading the reclamation of that site turning it into America’s first national park for the performing arts. The Parks Center, a 40-room Renaissance Revival mansion also known as the Embassy of the Earth, was built to be the home of the Vice President but instead became the Embassy of Brazil and later Hungary. It then fell on hard times until Parks & People began its transformation in 1998 into a lasting green community incubator and living museum of the urban parks and green movement. The Josephine Butler Parks Center now serves as WPP’s home West of the river and the site for beautiful events- from weddings, to fundraisers, to staff retreats. Our Italian Renaissance style mansion has been ranked 'Best Wedding Venue in DC’ by DC City Paper two years in a row! All events hosted at the Parks Center serve the mission of WPP- to activate green spaces across the city and promote healthy living through park based activity and education.
Parks & People is seeking a volunteer Parks Center Ambassador who has the desire to become a representative for the Center while lending support to our event staff. This position holds the opportunity for a volunteer to become engaged in their community while promoting and embodying the core values of Washington Parks & People.
Title: Parks Center Ambassador
Time: The opportunity is flexible; however, WPP would like a volunteer who is able to come multiple times a week within the 9-5pm window.
Location: Josephine Butler Parks Center at 2437 15th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
Main Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Greet and welcome all visitors to the Josephine Butler Parks Center while engaging with them about the Center’s historical impact within the DC community
- Administrative support such as answering phones, filing event documents, labeling, printing, setting up and breaking down event materials
- Shadowing our Event Specialist and helping them with event research and other event related tasks
- Daily walkthroughs of the Parks Center to assess any maintenance needs
- Posting information on social media regarding events and opportunities at the Parks Center
Required and Desired skills:
- Background and interest in working with volunteers
- Ability to work in a collaborative way with a small staff
- Must be able to multi-task, problem solve, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and enjoy working with a variety of people
- Resourceful, flexible, and a self starter
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Passionate about the mission of Parks & People and the ThinkOutside! Campaign
*Orientation and training will be provided. For more information on Washington Parks & People please visit http://www.washingtonparks.net/
Please, send a cover letter detailing why you're interested in becoming our Parks Center Ambassador and your resume to email@example.com
Washington Parks & People is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring or any other practices on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, ethnicity, national origin, age, or sexual orientation. People of color and residents of Washington, DC are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Office Reception
- Facilities Management
- Event Planning / Management
- Administrative Support
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Flexible Hours