Do you have a passion for animal welfare? Are you seeking to make a difference by contributing your professional skills and knowledge to an organization that saves the lives of the helpless?
Since its inception in October 2003, Small Angels Rescue, Inc. has saved over 4,000 guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and gerbils from euthanasia, abuse, and abandonment. We are a young, growing, all-volunteer, registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that serves an area of desperate need in the community. We do not have a physical location but instead have a network of volunteers in the Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia tri-state area.
We are currently seeking an At-Large Board Member who would also take on the role of Communications Taskforce Chair. Here is what the role entails:
At-Large Board Members participate in organizational governance and decision making. Attendance at monthly board meetings is mandatory. Board meetings alternate between in-person in Frederick, MD and via teleconference. In-person meetings are on Sunday afternoons at 4:00 p.m. and teleconference meetings are Monday nights at 6:30 p.m.
The Communications Taskforce Chair oversees the work of the Rescue's volunteers that are involved in marketing and communications activities, including the Social Media Coordinator, Webmaster, Newsletter Coordinator, and Marketing Coordinator. The volunteer in this role provides a communication link between them and the Board, as well as developing the marketing calendar and ideas for new marketing and communications activities. Prior professional experience with marketing and communications is preferred, but not necessary.
The time commitment for this role will vary depending on the organization's present activity level with marketing/communications, but we foresee it requiring 2-3 hours per week (maybe more on Board Meeting weeks).
As part of the governing body, all Board Members agree to:
- Avoid conflicts of interest in fact and appearance
- Understand and support our mission
- Attend and participate in meetings
- Be informed about our organization including its mission, history and core values; who we serve, their needs and how those needs are met; our governance structure and policies
- Act prudently, seeking information on which to base decisions
- Respect the integrity of the Board process, supporting decisions once they are made
- Understand and fulfill our specific expectations for participation and support as a member of the Board and a Taskforce Chair
- Basic Computer Skills
- Internet Research
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Market Research / Analysis
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours per week