Do you like helping kids have a great time while encouraging them to reach for their best? Then volunteering with the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab's Caring for Kids Program on November 3, 2017 would be a great opportunity for you!
Volunteers are needed to assist kids with physical disabilities for an afternoon of bowling and games at Lucky Strike in Chicago on November 3! Lunch will be provided.
We are seeking 15 volunteers so that each child has a dedicated one-on-one support.
TIME OF EVENT
Volunteers are expected to arrive at Lucky Strike (322 E Illinois, Chicago 60611) by 11:15 am. Volunteers will meet in the ground floor lobby in front of the escalators. The day will end at 3:00 pm.
Attendance is highly important and affects the youth that you are paired with for the event. We ask all volunteers to commit to the entire event.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are interested, once you reach out to us you will receive information on what you need to do in order to register as a volunteer for the program. /
- First responsibility is the safety of the youth during activities.
- Become actively involved and participate in all program activities
- If you are placed 1:1 with a child or supervising a small group, you are responsible for those specific youth during that event.
- All staff/volunteers will treat all other staff, volunteers, bus drivers, and participants with care and respect.
- All staff/volunteers will treat all equipment, facilities, and outside staff with care and respect.
- Children come first in all activities.
- Aid in pushing wheelchairs and walking alongside youth using walkers.
- Act as good role models and mentors and offer positive reinforcement.
- Make sure someone knows where you are at all times, bathroom, concessions, etc.
- Make sure your group stays on schedule and you are where you need to be at certain times.
Caring for Kids is a dynamic program for any youth aged 7-17 who has a physical disability. The Caring for Kids program offers year-round adaptive sports, recreation activities, special events, and social programming. The programs are designed to foster a positive quality of life for participants through promoting physical fitness, independence, socialization, activity, and adaptive programming resources. Learn more about Caring for Kids at www.sralab.org/caringforkids.
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Physical Therapy
- Relationship Building
- Occupational Therapy
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Note time details in description
- Wear attire appropriate to the activity. Must be able to commit to the full event.