Position Overview and Impact: Serve as point of contact to ensure that Veterans and Veteran families of every era know how to get connected to the state and federal benefits and services they have earned through military service.
Benefits to Veterans:
* Improve the lives of Veterans and their families;
* Bring hundreds of millions of dollars into the State every year;
* Lower the local cost of Veteran healthcare;
* Reduce Veteran homeless numbers;
* Reduce Veteran unemployment numbers;
* Increase Veteran enrollment in California colleges and universities.
1. "Staff" a Veteran Resource Station in the library for a minimum of one 2-hour shift per week to meet with Veterans and/or family members. Serve as expert listener and initial problem solver.
2. Help each Veteran or Veteran family member complete the My CalVet online form at www.calvet.ca.gov, or complete the print version of the "Veterans Reintegration Form." Either of these forms enters the individual into CalVet’s database and helps identify the benefits and services they need and for which they may be eligible. Once in the system, CalVet or a designated representative, will make contact with the Veteran.
3. Guide the Veteran toward those benefits that are likely to enhance their particular situation and, using the California Veteran’s Resource Book, provide contact information for the County Veterans Service Office in their county of residence so they can make an appointment. Also, provide a checklist of the basic documents the Veteran should take to their appointment in order to expedite their access to services.
* Interest in helping and serving Veterans and their families;
* Patience, empathy and good listening and interpersonal skills;
* Familiarity with military life, Veterans’ issues, reintegration challenges, or willingness to learn;
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect personal boundaries;
* Basic computer and Internet skills required; smart phone experience helpful.
* Successful completion of all training for this position.
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Internet Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training