ROLE: Every Sunday afternoon, our Food Rescue Volunteer attends the La Jolla Farmers’ Market and collects the leftover produce from local farmers. After gathering vendors’ surplus produce, the Volunteer drives to Kitchens for Good and stores the product in our Project Launch Walk-In Refrigerator. This Farmer’s Market food rescue shift is part of a new program of Produce Good, a local gleaning nonprofit.
PURPOSE: Do you feel passionate about localizing our food system? This food rescue position is unique because our Volunteer has the opportunity to meet local farmers and thank them for joining us in ameliorating hunger in San Diego County.
- Driving and carrying 50+ lbs of produce
- Communicating with local farmers
- Gleaning produce on-site and packing it into crates
- Weighing and recording donations
- Start: La Jolla Farmers’ Market, 7335 Girard Ave, La Jolla, CA 92037
- End: Kitchens for Good, 404 Euclid Avenue, San Diego, CA 92114
- Ability to pass DMV Driving Record Screening and provide proof of automobile insurance
- Ability to lift +50 pounds and have access to a cell phone
- Must be punctual and courteous; prioritizes safe driving practices
- Register on Produce Good’s website as a volunteer
SUPPORT: Food Rescue Volunteers participate in an orientation and "ride along" training guided by the Volunteer Coordinator. Food Rescue Volunteers are welcome to share shifts amongst themselves - the Volunteer Coordinator facilitates this process.
GET INVOLVED: Want to help us expand our food rescue? Please email email@example.com to express your interest in this role.
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2 months