We are looking for Board members who can steer the organization towards a sustainable future by adopting sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies, as well as by making sure that our organization has adequate resources to advance its mission. Those interested should demonstrate a passion for transforming education and a commitment to bring awareness to the impact our organization is making to support schools and communities with education programs that teach 21st workforce skills. Board members are responsible for engaging their networks to drive awareness and funding sources to support the long term sustainability of the organization.
2 - 4 hrs/wk
Our mission is to excite, inform and educate students about Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) careers. Through a collaboration with the community, education, government and the technology industry, WCTD provides awareness and education of the 21st Century workforce skills, as well as the opportunities available to students embracing STEAM careers. Impacting students at a local, national and global level, our programs create a hunger for learning that empowers students to find their own paths to success.
For more information, please visit We Connect The Dots (WCTD) website at http://we-connect-the-dots.org.
The Board will support the work of WCTD and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by WCTD’s chief executive officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements WCTD’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by WCTD for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving WCTD’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing WCTD to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring WCTD’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities WCTD serves
WCTD Board Members will consider WCTD a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that WCTD can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, WCTD expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
WCTD’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about WCTD’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of WCTD’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of WCTD’s beneficiaries
- Service on WCTD’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
- Donor Management
- Customer Acquisition
- Public Relations
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week