Areas of Involvement: Commitment to developing a supportive, developmental relationship with at-risk middle school students.
We are expanding our DreamBuilding efforts by focusing on our 7th and 8th grade students before they move on to high school without our daily support. Volunteers in this role will work with DreamTeens who need additional academic support, character building, and skill building assistance. Volunteers in this role will support DreamStaff facilitators with their planned programming and keep students engaged. These years in a students' life are incredibly important and can dictate how their futures will turn out.
Volunteers in this role should:
- have patience and open mindedness to work with students with varying needs
- an accessible and flexible style that inspires trust and confidence; a multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- willingness to learn and take direction
- Ability to communicate with a student openly and non-judgmentally
- Strong listening skills
- Ability to establish a relationship based on equal responsibility and respect
- Interest in needs and concerns of children who are at risk of incarceration because they are falling behind in school or have a parent currently incarcerated
- Practical problem-solving skills and ability to suggest options and alternatives
- Sensitivity to persons of different educational, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds.
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Critical Thinking
- Youth Services
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- interview, reference check, supplemental training ongoing