VITA Tax Preparer - Hillsborough County
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
10 people are interested
Meet new people, improve your skills, and make a big difference in the lives of thousands as a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) free tax preparer. No tax experience is required. Free IRS-Certified training is provided!
The VITA Program connects low-to-moderate income residents in the Suncoast Region with trained volunteer tax preparers who file their tax returns for free. This is a great opportunity for you, your friends, family, or co-workers to help low-to-moderate income households receive free tax preparation services and tax advantage of the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit.
There are several volunteer locations throughout Hillsborough offering day, evening, and weekend opportunities.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free federal tax return preparation to low-income families and individuals.
The VITA Volunteer is responsible for preparing tax returns at either a basic or advanced level for low-to-moderate income individuals. These returns are then checked by a trained quality reviewer for accuracy and then submitted to the IRS.
Position requires the use of tax preparation software, timeliness, the application of high ethical standards, and adherence to United Way and Internal Revenue Service policies, procedures, and guidelines. The Site Coordinator will receive IRS-sponsored training that covers income tax law for the types of returns that are within scope for the VITA program.
Successful candidate will work well in a fast-paced environment while displaying a supportive and professional disposition with diverse populations.
- Advise taxpayers of their responsibility for the information on their tax return.
- Arrive on schedule and notify their Site Coordinator at least one week in advance if they will miss any scheduled time, with the exception of emergencies.
- Prepare taxpayer’s return based on information provided by the taxpayer and answer tax related questions in a calm, friendly manner.
- Be responsible for all electronic return filing procedures within the guidelines of the VITA Program.
- Research and resolve any rejection error codes and resubmit corrected returns electronically.
- Become certified through the IRS by attending local trainings.
- Ability to deal with taxpayer questions regarding tax law as timely and as accurately as possible.
- Be friendly, dependable, and flexible.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot computer software for tax preparation purposes.
- The exact amount time required depends on volunteer schedules. Commitments range daily depending on site locations, and typically involve 4-hour commitments throughout January through April.
- Site availability average between 6-15 hours per week.
- The site schedules will operate from mid-January through mid- April.
About United Way Suncoast
5201 West Kennedy Blvd, Suite 600, Tampa, FL 33609, US
To provide leadership that improves lives and creates lasting community change by mobilizing the caring people of our communities to give, advocate, and volunteer. Serves DeSoto, Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Sarasota Counties.
United Way Suncoast Strategic Plan is to " Break the cycle of generational poverty through educational programs that give children the skills to succeed and help adults achieve long-term financial stability so they can support themselves and their families."Working together with volunteers, agency partners, community leaders and key stakeholders, the plan focuses on three priority impact areas:
- Early Literacy - If a child isn’t reading at grade level by 4th grade, s/he is four times more likely to drop out of school.
- Youth Success - A child who doesn’t graduate from high school earns 75% less than peers who do.
- Financial Stability - Building financial knowledge and employability skills help create more stable and secure households and communities.
In addition, we will continue funding aligned Support Services (health, food, shelter, etc) to help hard working individuals and families move past immediate crisis that may prevent them from participating in United Way programs that address their long-term needs.
We'll work with your schedule.
5201 West Kennedy BlvdTampa, FL 33609
- Financial Service Assistance
- Problem Solving
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Hours, vary by site.
- Must complete VITA Advanced Certification and Health Savings Account (HSA).