VITA Site Coordinator - Hillsborough County
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
5 people are interested
Position Overview: Provide coordination, organization, and supervision for all tax preparation aspects of a VITA site operation. Responsible for the overall flow and process at the tax site, managing and supporting volunteers, and ensuring quality tax preparation services.
Position Summary: The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free federal tax return preparation to low-income families and individuals. The VITA Site Coordinator is responsible for the administration and logistical coordination of a highly visible volunteer-run electronic tax preparation site.
Position requires the use of tax preparation software, management of volunteers, the application of high ethical standards, and adherence to United Way and Internal Revenue Service policies, procedures, and guidelines. The Site Coordinator will receive IRS-sponsored training that covers income tax law for the types of returns that are within scope for the VITA program. Successful candidate will work well in a fast-paced environment while displaying a supportive and professional disposition with diverse populations.
- Ensure all volunteers meet the IRS certification requirements according to their volunteer positions.
- Manage VITA volunteers’ work schedules and record the number of volunteer hours spent preparing tax returns.
- Assist United Way in recruitment of volunteers for sites. Notify volunteers in advance to ensure sufficient staffing for clients
- Supervises the work of the volunteers at the site
- Set up and maintain equipment, software, and supplies to be used for tax preparation at the site. Notify IRS and United Way in advance if in need of additional supplies
- Opens and closes the site at the required time.
- When needed, prepare taxpayer’s return based on information provided by the taxpayer or answer tax related questions.
- Responsible for all electronic return filing procedures within the guidelines of the IRS VITA Agreement.
- Research and resolve any rejection error codes and resubmit corrected returns electronically.
- Assist, when needed, as a Quality Reviewer for tax returns.
- Complete electronic filing of batched taxpayer returns at the conclusion of each shift.
- Complete required IRS and United Way reports
- Must possess a high level of organizational and leadership skills.
- Successfully complete site coordinator exam and VITA tax law exam and become certified through the advanced level as a VITA tax preparer for the current year.
- Ability to deal with taxpayer questions regarding tax law as timely and as accurately as possible.
- Friendly, dependable, and flexible.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot computer software for tax preparation purposes.
- The exact amount time required depends on the number of other volunteers assigned to the VITA site, and the volume of taxpayer appointments.
- Averages between 6-15 hours per week.
- The site schedule will operate from mid-January through mid- April.
If you are interested in becoming a site coordinator, you can register directly using this link: https://forms.gle/ZerUQcgTwqRWZjRs7.
About United Way Suncoast
5201 West Kennedy Blvd, Suite 600, Tampa, FL 33609, US
To provide leadership that improves lives and creates lasting community change by mobilizing the caring people of our communities to give, advocate, and volunteer. Serves DeSoto, Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Sarasota Counties.
United Way Suncoast Strategic Plan is to " Break the cycle of generational poverty through educational programs that give children the skills to succeed and help adults achieve long-term financial stability so they can support themselves and their families."Working together with volunteers, agency partners, community leaders and key stakeholders, the plan focuses on three priority impact areas:
- Early Literacy - If a child isn’t reading at grade level by 4th grade, s/he is four times more likely to drop out of school.
- Youth Success - A child who doesn’t graduate from high school earns 75% less than peers who do.
- Financial Stability - Building financial knowledge and employability skills help create more stable and secure households and communities.
In addition, we will continue funding aligned Support Services (health, food, shelter, etc) to help hard working individuals and families move past immediate crisis that may prevent them from participating in United Way programs that address their long-term needs.
We'll work with your schedule.
5201 West Kennedy BlvdTampa, FL 33609
- Program Management
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Hours, vary by site. Schedule can be flexible.
- Successfully complete Site Coordinator Exam, VITA tax law exams and become certified through the advanced level.