This is a one year, full-time volunteer position with AmeriCorps. Benefits include a living stipend, student loan forbearance and an education award to be received at the completion of service.
Official application can be submitted following this link: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=76906&fromSearch=true
Position Summary: The PC Job Readiness Specialist will support AMCS Preferred Communities (PC) program by helping newly resettled refugees and other eligible individuals gain access to the local job market by providing training and job placement assistance. The Specialist will also provide intensive case management assistance to PC clients to support their self-sufficiency.
Site Description: Founded in 1985, the Alliance for Multicultural Community Services (AMSC) has managed to transform the lives of countless refugees. The Alliance aspires to help people achieve independence and success as they acclimatize to their new lives here in the United States. AMSC is an affiliate organization of the Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc.
Program Description: The Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc. (ECDC) was established in 1983 as a non-profit organization and is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia. ECDC resettles refugees in 16 affiliate and branch offices throughout the country. ECDC’s Refugee AmeriCorps program places ten AmeriCorps members in ten branch offices and affiliates of ECDC across the country to support the work of local agencies in the areas of economic opportunity and education for newly resettled refugees.
Each full-time member will receive a living allowance, health insurance, vacation time off, on-the-job and other training, and CNCS’s AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,730 upon successful completion of service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Job Readiness (60% time)
- Through group sessions and one-on-one counseling, provide job readiness training to enrolled PC clients on topics such as US workplace culture and behavior, vocational skills, resume writing, conducting job searches, interviewing skills, etc.
- Assist clients with locating and applying for jobs.
- Provide individual assessments for clients and follow-up services during eligibility period.
- Track, document, and report services provided, including clients’ progress in their training program and job placement outcomes.
- Maintain relationships with current employers and conduct outreach to new employers to develop jobs for refugees.
- Provide transportation to clients as needed for job interviews and trainings.
ICM Support (40% time)
- Support PC staff in delivering linguistically and culturally appropriate services to all PC clients.
- Facilitate monthly 45-minute cultural orientation sessions.
- Facilitate workshops on health literacy and basic health topics such as hygiene once a month.
- Assist PC clients to access physical and mental health services to manage/improve their conditions.
- Document services provided in PC case files.
- Recruit and train volunteers to assist in the PC program.
- Maintain ongoing communication with on-site supervisor and staff.
- Submit all required AmeriCorps timesheets and reports to ECDC national office.
- Attend and participate in on-site and AmeriCorps trainings and professional development.
- Comply with the policies of AMCS and ECDC’s Refugee AmeriCorps program while carrying out service, and complete at least 1700 service hours during the term.
- Wear the AmeriCorps logo during service hours (AmeriCorps logo gear will be provided).
- Must be a US citizen, US national, or legal permanent resident.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in a second language preferred.
- Cultural sensitivity and dedication to working directly with diverse communities.
- Previous experience in case management, employment services, refugee services, teaching or training is an asset.
- Computer skills including ability to conduct internet research and accurately use Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must have a car and a valid driver’s license and car insurance.
- Candidates are subject to a National Service Criminal History Check as required by AmeriCorps.
- Former refugees, SIVs, or asylees are encouraged to apply.
- Adult Education
- Case Work / Management
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- full time, flexible hours, mostly 9-5
- Must submit application on AmeriCorps site; please see description for more details