Want to gain experience working on creating a social enterprise in a developing country?
Many grassroots Community Based Organizations (CBOs) have a real desire to distribute essential clean energy technologies in their communities without electricity, running water, and modern fuels for cooking. However, in setting up businesses they face three hurdles:sufficientlabor, knowledge, and financing.
We are seeking Business Development Fellows that will serve as a business coach for our rural CBO partners to enable them to launch a sustainable enterprise selling clean energy technologies across Uganda. You will be based at their location site and you will gain first-hand experience on rural entrepreneurship. Placement is for 3 - 5 months.
- Work closely with the Executive Director of the CBO to establish an enterprise that sells small-scale clean energy products, including but not limited to solar lights, solar home systems, improved cookstoves, fuel briquettes, and water filters.
- Conduct market research with the CBO in the community to determine uptake and price points.
- Develop relationships with local clean energy manufacturers to set up order processing and delivery
- Accounts manage the loan provided to ensure that all receipts, invoices, and purchase orders are accounted for and shared with ENVenture.
- Work with the CBO staff to create a marketing campaign around the enterprise.
- Determine future orders, costs, profitability, and margins, as well as cash flow.
- Maintain progress reports with ENVenture, and at the end of the position, submit a summary of all work done during the time with ENVenture and the local partner.
- Develop rural retail marketing campaigns.
- Grow sales.
- Test enterprise mobile applications.
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Strategic Planning
- Capacity Planning
- Business Planning
- Market Research
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 3-5 months
- Being able to live in challenging environment and work in places without electricity