Africa GreenTec AG is a social entrepreneurship. This means, among other things, that the Impact is the goal and the focus at our company, rather than capital gain maximization.
Africa GreenTec produces, develops and delivers the Solartainer into rural areas of Africa. The Solartainer is a mobile solar system, which can be built up within a day, with enough power to replace diesel generators and power up to about 3000 people. Further applications, such as water sanitation, Internet connections via satellite and, for example, cooling containers, can now be connected to the Solartainer. This leads to massive development potentials and represents a massive opportunity for our customers to achieve better living conditions.
Currently, Africa GreenTec is primarily active in Mali and Niger. One Solartainer is already active in Mali, while in Niger a container is setup now.
For a trip with our team to Africa, a stay in Hainburg near Frankfurt am Main in Germany is necessary, as it is important to become familiar with the Solartainer and our team.
The time spent in Germany is important to get to know each other and to assess as to what tasks and jobs the volunteer is most suitable to do. Further, spending time at our headquarters is necessary to receive some training for the job in Africa at a later stage. Currently, operations are planned in Mali and Niger. It is also possible to volunteer only in Hainburg without a subsequent trip to Africa. This variant may be interesting to some volunteers, as the African regions in which Africa GreenTec operates are very dangerous.
* Minimum duration: 3 months.
* In a period of 3 months: Exclusive stay in Hainburg.
* For a stay of 6 months, the volunteer may travel to Africa with our team.
* The setup process of a Solartainer in Africa currently takes about two weeks. The volunteer may participate in two or three projects in succession. This depends strongly on the planning of Africa GreenTec.
We welcome volunteers who want to support us for longer. It should be noted, that there probably will be breaks in between the projects, which can be spent in Hainburg.
4. Areas of Practice
* Installation and removal of the Solartainer
* Unloading the Solartainer
* Working with the freight load off system
* Setting up the modules
* Pull out the arms
* General assistance of our team during assembly and dismantling processes (preparing tools, assembling screws and mounting parts, etc.)
* Installing and removing the battery-system
* Set up of the roof frame, holding more solar panels
* In individual cases, tasks can be carried out independently (in Africa)
* Rudimentary system set ups. IT knowledge and a volunteer ship duration of more than 3 months are necessary.
* Administrative jobs at the Africa GreenTec AG office, if necessary
5. Profile requirements
* At least 18 years old
* For field operation in Africa: Male
* Graduation from school, qualifications depending of volunteer’s country of origin
* Advanced English and / or German language skills
* Physical resilience (heavy lifting, heat in Africa)
* Team player
* Personal connection to the country of Africa (interest, kinship, fascination)
* Enthusiasm for social and environmental issues
* Language skills: Compulsory are German OR English. French is of course advantageous for communicating from Hainburg to Africa, but especially in Africa.
* On request we require a police clearance certificate
* A healthcare assurance
* A valid passport and visa
* Technically gifted
* Previous knowledge electronics
* IT knowledge
Hainburg itself offers very little, this is why we suggest to arrange an accommodation in either Darmstadt or Frankfurt. This may be more expensive and you should organize co-financing for transportation as well. If we are given a certain budget, we can help with the search for accommodation, but we do not have accommodation in available.
Africa Greentec doesn’t require any participation costs from the volunteer.
Volunteers’ Help will reimburse the volunteer’s travel- and accommodation costs.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Social Work
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- 2-3 months, optionally 6 months