College Success Mentor
55 people are interested
In the academic year 2018-2019, Steps to Success has just started a second cohort of our College Mentoring
program, this year, by matching high school seniors with external professionals. We have 5 more high school seniors and college students who are currently looking for a mentor!
We are currently looking for professionals with a connection to Brookline, and with backgrounds in Communications/Journalism, Nutrition, Psychology, and Criminal Justice, but all backgrounds are welcome!
Given the College Success Initiative's (CSI) focus on college access and persistence, mentoring, which
has a proven track record to positively impact both areas, is a natural expansion of CSI’s programming.
Mentors can serve many roles for students, including providing emotional support, friendship, and
advocacy, as well as providing coaching, advising, and planning and goal-setting support.
Mentors will receive an initial training and orientation about our students and program expectations, along with ongoing support from the CSI Advisor staff to address any challenges they are experiencing. Mentors will also receive small gifts in appreciation of their service to our students and will be recognized at a celebration dinner at the end of the school year in June.
Below is a preliminary list of expectations and deliverables for the mentor matches below,
as an initial guide for participants.
Expectations for Students and Professional Mentors:
1. Meet at least four times per semester (or one time per month)
- Ideally in person, but can be via phone, FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc.
- Passion List
- Areas of Strength and Areas of Improvement
- What do you want in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years
- SMART goals for the year
5. Student keeps running list of questions for professional mentor, which can be asked
through email, text, phone, or during a meeting
6. Student receives support on topics ranging from the college application process, including how to evaluate a school, consider potential majors, to advising on course schedules, and finding an internship.
Please contact me if you are interested!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
24 Webster PlaceBrookline Village, MA 02445
- Child Advocacy
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training