College Success Mentor
28 people are interested
In the academic year 2018-2019, Steps to Success is starting a second cohort of our College Mentoring
program, this year, by matching high school seniors with external professionals. We have 10 high school seniors who are currently looking for a mentor!
Given the College Success Initiative's (CSI) focus on college access and persistence, mentoring, which
has a proven track record to positively impact both areas, is a natural expansion of CSI’s programming.
Mentors can serve many roles for students, including providing emotional support, friendship, and
advocacy, as well as providing coaching, advising, and planning and goal-setting support.
Mentors will receive an initial training and orientation about our students and program expectations, along with ongoing support from the CSI Advisor staff to address any challenges they are experiencing. Mentors will also receive small gifts in appreciation of their service to our students and will be recognized at a celebration dinner at the end of the school year in June.
Below is a preliminary list of expectations and deliverables for the mentor matches below,
as an initial guide for participants.
Expectations for High School Students and Professional Mentors:
1. Meet at least four times per semester (or one time per month)
- Ideally in person, but can be via phone, FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc.
- Passion List
- Areas of Strength and Areas of Improvement
- What do you want in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years
- SMART goals for the year
5. High school student keeps running list of questions for professional mentor, which can be asked
through email or during a meeting
6. High School student receives support on college application process, including how to evaluate a school, consider potential majors, etc.
7. High School student receives support on finding an internship in a field of interest (if applicable).
We are currently looking for professionals with a connection to Brookline, and with backgrounds in human/social services, STEM/medical,and business fields, but all backgrounds are welcome!
We'll work with your schedule.
24 Webster PlaceBrookline Village, MA 02445
- Child Advocacy
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training