Harlem Educational Activities Fund, Inc.
HEAF is seeking dedicated and passionate individuals to serve as academic coaches to provide tutoring and support to our College Quest (High School) students, grades 9-11. Our students need your help in the following subject areas
High School: English, History (Global, U.S), Math (Trigonometry, Geometry, Algebra), Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Spanish, French Time Commitment: 2hrs/Week
Middle School: English Language Arts (ELA), Math (ratios, percentages, decimals, single variable equations, solving for X, plotting points on a graph) and Social Studies Time Commitment: 1/Hr a week, Saturdays
The Harlem Educational Activities Fund, Inc. (HEAF) is a comprehensive not-for-profit supplemental education and youth development organization that supports and assists dedicated students to develop the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values and personal resiliency they need to ensure success in school, career and life. HEAF identifies scholars in middle school and supports them until they are successfully admitted to four-year colleges through a variety of after-school, Saturday and summer programs.
Academic Coach Position Summary:
HEAF seeks talented, passionate individuals to work with our high school students to ensure their academic success. HEAF’s College Quest program operates on weekdays from 4:30-6:30pm. Academic Coaches are asked to make at least a one hour/week commitment for a minimum of one semester. Academic Coaches provide assistance in core subjects such as Math, English, Science, and Social Studies. Coaches are matched with students based on the coach’s skills in specific subject areas and the student’s needs.
Academic Coach Responsibilities:
- Assess and assist students in at least one of the core subjects
- Assist students with homework, projects, and test preparation
- Evaluate and record student progress
- Attend and participate in scheduled tutor orientation & training meetings
- Communicate academic progress to program staff
- Complete and submit required documentation
- Create a rich learning environment that aids in instructing students with various learning styles
- Desire to work with and motivate high school students to achieve academic success
- Some College or B.A. (Masters students in Education encouraged to apply)
- Advanced skills in Mathematics, English Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, and/or SAT Test Prep
- Experience tutoring high school students
- Strong work ethic and professional values
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Willingness to promote HEAF educational and youth development philosophy.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the HEAF staff
- Ability and willingness to commit to academic year
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
*This position is unpaid
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1 to 2hrs a week