Math Tutors Needed (GED prep for immigrants)
18 people are interested
Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights is a service-based, human rights organization that provides housing, health care, human services, and human rights protections to the most poor and vulnerable people in our society, and uses its 118 years of experience to advocate for social justice.
Heartland Human Care Services' (HHCS) Vocational English Language Training (VELT) Project provides English as a Second Language and Adult Basic Education (ABE) instruction, emphasizing language fluency and competencies that are relevant to the daily lives of the adult students served. The VELT project is an essential component of HHCS' Refugee and Immigrant Community Services (RICS) department. ESL and EL civics are held at a RICS site in the Belmont-Cragin neighborhood. Volunteers provide classroom, small group, and one-on-one instruction for adult learners.
RICS is currently seeking volunteer tutors to support students in the Adult Basic Education classes. We are in need of math tutors.
- High school math proficiency
- Must be flexible, creative, and dependable
- Previous teaching/tutoring experience a plus
- Available 1-2.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday between 9am-3pm
- Work with 1 to 3 tutees during a session
- Provide individual assistance and instruction as needed (ABE instructor will provide material but tutors are encouraged to bring outside material)
- Communicate with the ABE instructor to convey his/her tutee’s needs
- Keep accurate attendance and record the progress of the tutee(s) at the close of each session
We'll work with your schedule.
5715 W. BelmontChicago, IL 60634
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2.5 hours per week