Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA Tax Preparer)
WhenSat Feb 10, 2018 09:00 AM - Sat Apr 07, 2018 04:00 PM
Where450 North Syndicate St.Saint Paul, MN 55104
Community Action Partnership of Ramsey & Washington Counties partners with people to reduce the causes of poverty and its impact on people’s lives. Community Action serves participants enrolled in various program, educate individuals and the public about the causes of poverty, and transform systems to eliminate barriers so that everyone in our community has a chance to achieve their potential.
Title : Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA Tax Preparer)
Purpose : The individual tax site preparer works closely with Community Action staff to prepare customers state and federal tax returns. Volunteers will work to ensure that customers are qualifying for important tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Preparers also serve as a trusted (and free) resource, ensuring customers file correctly.
Supervisor : Financial Services Coordinator
Tasks and Responsibilities :
- Prepare state and federal tax returns using tax software called TaxSlayer.
- Direct customers to appropriate on-site financial services.
- Work cooperatively with staff and other volunteers to provide high-quality service to customers.
- Maintain strict confidentiality, providing as much privacy as logistically possible.
Qualifications & Skills Needed :
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to analyze applications and paperwork.
- Meet one of the following criteria:
- Experience filing your own tax return
- Taken a tax law or tax accounting course at the college level
- Work in the accounting field
- Desire to learn how to complete IRS and MN Revenue taxes
- Ability to discuss customer’s tax and financial situation with empathy and respect.
- Computer proficient.
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment.
- Ability to speak, read, and interpret Somali, Hmong, Spanish, or Karen is a plus.
Benefits of becoming a Volunteer Income Tax Assistant: Perhaps the first and biggest benefit we get from volunteering is the satisfaction of incorporating service into our lives and making a difference in our community. The intangible benefits alone-such as pride, satisfaction, and accomplishment-are worthwhile reasons to serve.
- Become a certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistant.
- Gain real life experience preparing federal and state taxes and hands-on experience with a professional tax preparation software program.
- VITA volunteers, especially those who have volunteered for more than one tax season, have already demonstrated a strong work ethic and a strong sense of civic involvement that may be attractive to prospective employers.
- VITA volunteers begin to perfect their interpersonal skills as they work with a diverse group of clients. They develop the interviewing skills necessary to elicit missing information or to clarify information that is problematic or unclear. They learn to develop a rapport with their clients while retaining a healthy level of professional skepticism.
- VITA provides student volunteers with an opportunity to develop and to demonstrate significant leadership skills. Volunteers, especially those who return for a second year, can be trained as site coordinators, assistant site coordinators, or quality reviewers. This teaches them not only to prepare returns, but also to review the work of other volunteer preparers.
Time Commitment : Must successfully complete the following:
- Must attend an informational orientation.
- Attend IRS tax training; unless prior experience with VITA tax clinic
- Successfully complete (open book) basic IRS certification test.
- Complete two practice tax returns accurately before completing any tax returns.
- Volunteers will be required to provide at least 4 hours of volunteer work every week during the tax season, on Saturdays from February 10th to April 7th, 2018, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm for 7 of the 9 weeks.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per week