Relay For Life of Almaden - COMMUNITY OUTREACH & MARKETING OPPORTUNITY
3 people are interested
Almaden Fights Cancer! - American Cancer Society Relay For Life
We are looking for volunteers with leadership qualities, a desire to change the world and a passionate dislike of cancer. We’re looking for long term, hands on, rock star volunteers who want more than a 1 day gig passing out water to runners. Relay For Life is planned and produced by an Event Leadership Team of volunteers from the community where the event is held. We invest in our volunteers through group training and 1-on-1 coaching from an American Cancer Society staff member. As the single largest fundraising event in the world, you get to be part of something pretty spectacular. No experience necessary, however, a go-getter attitude is essential!
MARKETING & COMMUNITY OUTREACH LEADER:
The marketing leader creates, develops, & implements marketing & publicity to raise awareness of the Relay For Life event.
Individuals in this role will be able to coordinate, prepare, & implement a publicity & marketing strategy. Additionally, they will be familiar with or willing to learn how to utilize the resources & tools available to promote & market the event.
SPECIFIC TASKS INCLUDE:
- Assist online & social communications lead in cultivating relationships with contacts in media outlets & other promotional organizations
- Plan & implement strategies for event promotion, marketing materials, & resources
- Assist online & social communications lead in messaging for online promotion, including email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Provide opportunities for Event Leadership Team, Team Captains, participants, & volunteers to share stories.
- Develop relationships & serve as the primary contact with media outlets & other organizations with a broad reach including newspapers, radio, television outlets, etc.
- Leverage relationships with business contacts & other supporters to promote the Relay For Life event & Event Leadership Team efforts.
- Works with the Experience Lead on the Event Leadership Team as well as the American Cancer Society Community Manager to ensure that all marketing materials are available for the Event Leadership Team & teams in a timely manner.
- Meets monthly or bi-monthly with Experience Lead to discuss goals & progress
So...at this point you may be wondering...WHAT IS RELAY FOR LIFE?
At Relay For Life events, communities across the globe come together to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against a disease that has already taken too much. This community event is held at Almaden Lake Park on May 5 th from 9 am to 10 pm consists of inspiring ceremonies, activities and fun, and teams of friends, families, and co-workers coming together to finish the fight against cancer! Commitment requires regular check ins with your team lead and/or ACS staff member (in person, over the phone or via email) during Relay Season (September-August.. However we really ramp up in January!) and 2-3 hours a week of additional volunteer efforts. Schedule of work is up to you.
Sound like something you'd be great at?? Perhaps you'd only like a bite-size piece of this role?? Perhaps you & a family member or a friend interested in working on this together?? We would LOVE to chat & truly look forward to working with you to create a world without cancer!!!!
About American Cancer Society - Relay For Life
7000 Village Parkway, Suite E, Dublin, CA 94568, US
The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer, through research, education, advocacy and service.
The American Cancer Society Relay For Life is a life-changing event that gives everyone in communities across the globe a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease. This is the signature event of the American Cancer Society and the largest community activity of its kind. At Relay, teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, field, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Relays are 24-hour overnight events to represent the fact that cancer never sleeps.
We'll work with your schedule.
Almaden CommunitySan Jose, CA 95120
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- 1-3 hours per week