28 people are interested
Advance Literacy as an Americorps Member-Paid Opportunity
ORGANIZATION: Literacy Volunteers of Illinois
Please visit the new page to apply.
28 people are interested
ABOUT LITERACY VOLUNTEERS OF ILLINOIS
Literacy Volunteers of Illinois (LVI) is a statewide organization committed to developing and supporting volunteer literacy programs that help families, adults, and out-of-school teens increase their literacy skills. LVI has been a leader in the national service movement and has placed over 900 national service members in 150 literacy programs throughout the state. LVI partners with community-based organization in areas across the state to expand their literacy programs and increase services being offered to low literate and limited English speaking adults and out-of-school teens.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As VOCAL AmeriCorps member, your service will focus on adult literacy programs offered to low-literate and limited English speaking adults and out-of-school teens. As Literacy Specialists, AmeriCorps members serve as one-to-one and small group tutors, become involved with volunteer recruitment and retention activities, and assist their partner organization in obtaining resources that will benefit the adults and families they serve.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Plan tutoring sessions and provide small group and one-to-one literacy tutoring to low literate and limited English speaking adults and out-of-school teens.
- Conduct basic skills and literacy assessments for adult learners
- Encourage and support adult learners by helping them develop confidence and a positive attitude about learning; Respecting them and involving them in decisions about the learning process
- Select materials and approaches that are suitable for the adult learners’ ability and needs
- Track learner progress through regular assessments and submit reports.
- Assist with volunteer management including orientations, logistics, and volunteer tracking
- Work with Site Supervisor to ensure consistent, excellent volunteer experiences
- Assist with volunteer data management and individual volunteer coordination
- Recruit, schedule and coordinate individual volunteers
- Assist with communication projects aimed at volunteers (social media, newsletter, content development, etc.)
- Coordinate volunteer recognition activities.
OTHER RESPONSBILITIES INCLUDE
- Engaging community members in education or social issues through member led themed events at their organization or sites across Chicago
- Attending Monthly trainings
- Participating in Days of Services
- Documenting your experience through videos and/or pictures
- Health insurance
- Bi-weekly living stipend
- AmeriCorps child care benefits program
- Workers’ compensation
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payments
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Income-based repayment plan
VOCAL AmeriCorps members are as diverse a group as the communities we serve. We’re looking for you if you want to build yourself, give back and are ready to change the world.
- Be at least 18
- Have completed at least two years of college; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Have good oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Have experience in non-profit, education, adult education, or community development a field
- Agree to and pass a criminal background check
- Be able to begin VOCAL by September 2021
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient
- Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time
DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH:
Diversity and Inclusiveness are core values at LVI, and we continuously strive to be a organization where everyone feels welcome and supported. It is the policy of LVI to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information and/or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. Individuals from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made by LVI which may pose serious health or safety risks to the member or others, or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Visit https://americorps.gov/serve/fit-finder/americorps-vista and submit your completed application online. For more information on how to apply, contact Dorothy Miaso at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Literacy Volunteers of Illinois
100 S. State Street, Suite 437, Chicago, IL 60603, US
Literacy Volunteers of Illinois (LVI) is a statewide organization committed to developing and supporting volunteer literacy programs that help families, adults, and out-of-school teens increase their literacy skills.
Multiple locations Chicago, IL 60603
September 14, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- October 1, 2022-August 31, 2023
- VOCAL Americorps members should have a passion for literacy and helping underserved populations.