Child Care Assistant Volunteers Needed!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where5715 W. BelmontChicago, IL 60634
Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights is a service-based, human rights organization that provides housing, health care, human services, and human rights protections to the most poor and vulnerable people in our society, and uses its 118 years of experience to advocate for social justice.
The department of Refugee and Immigrant Community Services (RICS) is looking for volunteers to help staff the RICS child care room at our Belmont location. Volunteers will provide early childhood activities and child care services with a commitment to the principles of family support and strengths-based practice. Child care activities will occur for children, ages 2-5, who have parents participating on site in RICS literacy classes. The RICS Child Care room is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 11:30 am.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide oversight, guidance and instruction for children ages 2 - 5 whose parents and/or guardians are participants in RICS onsite adult literacy classes.
- Offer educational and social activities that meet the emotional, physical, intellectual and social need of children, both individually and as a group.
- Acts as the team leader in team teaching situations.
- Help maintain the order and maintenance of instructional materials
- Have an interest in working with immigrants in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, and multi-ethnic environment
- Experience developing early childhood curriculum preferred
- Have patience and flexibility
- Interdependency skills are required
- Must be extremely motivated, assertive, and a self-starter
- Possess quick reaction to unforeseen program changes, and the ability to solve problems on the spot.
- Willingness to work in a diverse environment
- Ability to speak a second language preferable, but not required
- Important to have a passion for learning about other cultures
- Able to work with both children and parents alike.
- Need to be committed to work schedule created by the student and the agency
- 2.5 - 12.5 hours per week availability, minimum 3 month commitment. Can be shortened depending on volunteer schedule and advance notice.
- Willingness to complete and pass background check
- Child Development
- Child Welfare
- Child Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteer Computer Literacy...
- Volunteer ESL Tutors for Adult...
- Citizenship exam tutors
- Math Tutors Needed (GED prep for...
- Child Care Assistant Volunteers...
- English Language Training Intern
- Volunteer ESL Tutor for Slavic...
- Volunteer ESL Teacher
- Help immigrants prepare for the...
- Volunteer ESL Tutor for Refugee...