As a volunteer-powered non-profit organization, Ruff House Rescue would not exist without the hard work and dedication of our volunteers. The number of dogs and cats we can save depends on the number of volunteers we have helping us. Do you have access to Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest? We need folks to look at our sites and respond to the comments people leave on our posts so we can respond to everyone. This position is ALWAYS open and needed. You must use your own personal social media account. Start immediately- just follow the 5 steps below.
COMMUNITY HOURS: Sorry no letter is provided for this opportunity. See below for how you can get community service hours with our other positions.
Length of term:
There is no minimum amount of time required.
Strong work ethics
Attention to detail
You can start immediately without waiting for a response from Ruff House Rescue. Simply use your own personal social media account to respond to comments from the 2-3 weeks . See below for Background Information and Suggested Wording for guidelines on how to respond to comments.
VolunteerMatch directions: Please click on the red button labeled "I want to help!" in the upper corner of the page. We want to personally thank you for your volunteer work.
Please respond to comments from a laptop since many posts can’t be viewed from your Smartphone.
Read below for more information on how to comment and for details on our organization.
Our Social Media sites: - Facebook Site: @RuffHouseRescueNY - Instagram Site: @RuffHouseRescue - Pinterest Site: Ruffhouse Rescue
BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON RHR: - RHR is located on Long Island, New York (32 miles from NYC). - We do not transport dogs or cats looking to be adopted; potential adopters must come to our rescue. - We require an application to be completed and accepted before an animal can be adopted/fostered. - To foster, you must be located near Freeport, NY due to adoption events, our vet, and appointments. - If someone does not get a response from RHR, it could be because their email went into our spam folder. It’s always best to follow-up with a second email or to call RHR. - Our website at www.ruffhouserescue.org has more information.
SUGGESTED WORDING: 1. Unsure about their question. Your Response: "Please email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your questions. RHR has many social media sites/posts, and they are not able to respond to all comments directly as we are volunteer run." 2. Comment: Shared RHR post. Your Response: Love or Like their comment or "Thank you for sharing our post!!"
3. Comment: Do you need help (volunteering)? Or what types of volunteer opportunities do you have? Your Response: "Volunteers are always needed. Positions are listed on Ruff House Rescue's website at www.ruffhouserescue.org and go to the "Volunteer" tab. Or visit VolunteerMatch page at https://www.volunteermatch.org/search/org840639.jsp . There are virtual positions along with in-person positions located in Long Island, NY."
4. Comment:Is he/she good with dogs and/or cats or other dogs? Or kids? 5. Comment: What type of dog is he/she? How big will he/she get? 6. Comment: How old is he/she? 7. Comment: Is he/she at the kennel? Where is she/he located? 8. Comment: Is she/he already adopted? Your Response to #4-#8: "Please email RHR at email@example.com. Also go to www.ruffhouserescue.org to find information on applications, adopting, fostering, adoptable pets for adoption/fostering, volunteering, donating, and events. If you do not get a response in 3-4 business days please email (general information) : info@RuffHouseRescue.org. If you have already applied, please email: apply@RuffHouseRescue.org. Thank you!"
9.Comment: I applied to adopt (or foster) but heard nothing from Ruff House Rescue. Your response: "If you have already applied, please email: apply@RuffHouseRescue.org. Thank you!"
10. Comment: What is the process to adopt and foster? Your Response: Adopting -- "Please complete your application to adopt prior to our events. Go to RHR's website at www.ruffhouserescue.org. Adoption events are held every weekend by appointment. When attending an adoption event, we ask that the entire family/household attend as well as any family dogs. Our goal is to make the best match for every family. If you don’t receive an email following your submission, you may need to work directly from a computer rather than an iphone. Please also give RHR time to contact your vet and references. If you have already applied please email: apply@RuffHouseRescue.org. Thank you!" Fostering -- Your Response: "Please complete your application at www.ruffhouserescue.org to foster prior to our events. Foster dogs can be met during the week with their fosters by appointment. Our goal is to make the best match for every family. If you don’t receive an email following your submission, you may need to work directly from a computer rather than an iphone. Please also give RHR time to contact your vet and references. If you have already applied please email: apply@RuffHouseRescue.org. Thank you!" 11. Comment: Where can I mail donations to? Does Ruff House Rescue need donations? Your Response: "If you would like to mail a check, please send it to: Ruff House Rescue, PO Box 365, Oceanside, NY 11572. You can donate at www.ruffhouserescue.org. For Facebook donations, see the blue "Donate" button on RHR's profile photo." Or go to their website - www.ruffhouserescue.org and go to their "Donate" tab. 12. Comment: I would like to mail toys and food. Your Response: "You can mail items to Ruff House Rescue, Attn: RHR's Rescue Dogs at the kennel, c/o Thrifty Pawz, 4A Centre Avenue, East Rockaway, NY 11518." Thrifty Pawz is RHR's consignment shop.
13. Comment: What toys and food/treats does Ruff House Rescue use? Do you need food? What type of food do you need?
Your response: "You can go to the RHR wish list found on Amazon: http://amzn.com/w/3K6ROSWV2YKHR Be sure to check back frequently as items will periodically change.
We always need these supplies: Throw Blankets (no fitted sheets, pillowcases, comforters, or pillows - these can be donated to Thrifty Pawz), Towels, Top Sheets, Disposable Gloves, Paper Towels, Bleach, Trader Joe’s Dog Biscuits, Unscented Laundry Detergent, Dawn Dish Detergent, and Healthy Edibles Bones by Nylabone.
Or you can mail Pedigree puppy/dog food to Texas Ranch: Ruff House Rescue, 513 Miguel Hidalgo, San Juan, Texas 78589"
14. Comment: Do you have puppies? Do you have x breed? Are there small dogs? Are there big dogs?
"The dogs at Ruff House Rescue change weekly. Be sure to look at our Facebook page frequently and check out Petfinder: www.petfinder.com/member/us/ny/island-park/ruff-house-rescue-ny936/"
15. Comment: Do you keep applications on file?"If you applied very recently you can email apply@RuffHouseRescue.org to see if they still have the application. Otherwise I would fill out a new application."
VIDEO OF PJ & CLOVE (scroll down to the bottom of the page): PJ had been sober for 2 years and he didn't have a job, he didn't have any accountability, he made the decision to start looking for a dog. A rescue group (Ruff House Rescue) had pulled Clove from a kill shelter. PJ just found a place to live. He got a call from the rescue and she was like, "PJ can you pick up Clove right now?" The first day PJ got Clove she was so scared and shut down, it was very awkward. She just cowered in his presence. And she was very timid. Watch the VIDEO to see how their story unfolds ...
RHR’s website - www.ruffhouserescue.org
UNDER AGE REQUIREMENT:
See our "Junior Volunteer" positions
COMMUNITY HOURS: Letter ONLY provided for some In-person Opportunities BUT if you do a "drive" for Kennel Supplies, Start a "RHR Dog Rescue Club" and help our mission (with Baked Goods Sales, Monies/Pennies for RHR Fundraiser, or Wear Jeans or PJs for A Day) or a Garage |Tag Sale at your school | church |community center you could have someone LOCAL to you be a Coordinator of your hours. Also see the "Exercise + ResQWalk" or "Exercise + Wooftrax" volunteer opportunities where your time and distance exercised is recorded on the cell phone application. Scroll down to see these opportunities.
One animal is euthanized in the U.S. every 16 seconds, 4 million annually (Humane Society of US).
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." The Dalai Lama
Our mission is to rescue homeless pets that suffer from abuse, neglect, and indifference. Our goal is to create awareness of the epidemic of homeless pets and educate on the importance of spaying and neutering, ID tagging, and training these pets. Through our rescue efforts we are both saving lives and cultivating the natural connection between man and his best friend.
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AT OUR VOLUNTEER POST AT RHR!
Ruff House Rescue's (RHR) mission is to rescue homeless pets that suffer from abuse, neglect, and indifference. Our goal is to create awareness of the epidemic of homeless pets and educate on the importance of spaying and neutering, ID tagging, and training these pets. Through our rescue efforts we are both saving lives and cultivating the natural connection between man and his best friend.
WE GO BIG, SO THEY GO HOME.
Going BIG means that our fosters and volunteers always show up in a big way and are incredibly hands-on, passionate, and dedicated, whether they are volunteering remotely, at our kennel, or at our adoption events.
Ruff House Rescue is the largest 501 (c)(3) non-profit rescue on the South Shore of Long Island. Our mission is to seek out under-served shelters and communities where we can make the biggest lifesaving impact. Our goal is to create a world where the kind and rewarding experience of adoption is the standard. We do this through tireless passion, commitment, and advocacy.
We are a foster-based network of animal lovers who seek to save as many lives as possible, as fast as we can. As a largely volunteer-based organization, we depend on the generosity of our Ruff House family to do this life changing work.
No animal is euthanized.
Mailing Address: PO Box 365, Oceanside, NY 11572
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.